|Industry||Managed health care|
|Headquarters||New York, New York, USA|
|Jaan Tallinn - Founder|
|Products||Personalized medical research|
MetaMed Research was a medical consulting firm aiming to provide high-end personalized medical research services. It was founded in 2012 by Michael Vassar (previously of the Singularity Institute), Jaan Tallinn (co-founder of Skype and Kazaa), and Zvi Mowshowitz, with startup funding from Silicon Valley investor Peter Thiel. Metamed stated that its researchers were drawn from top universities, as well as technology companies such as Google.
MetaMed was intended to provide an alternative to "typical one-size-fits-all healthcare". To this end, company researchers gathered detailed medical information on each client, using this as the basis for the creation of personalized research reports for various conditions (or, in some cases, for the purpose of client performance enhancement). It also assessed the expected value of various tests, and created maps of correlations between possible medical conditions. One aim of the company was to aid doctors with advanced artificial intelligence and data from information experts.
MetaMed's personalized medical research services were targeted at the market for concierge medicine, with prices ranging from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands. One MetaMed patient, interviewed by NPR, said that personalized medical research was the "only thing that has helped him" after seeing numerous doctors.
- Clarke, Liat (24 April 2015). "The solution to saving healthcare systems? New feedback loops". Wired.co.uk. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
Tallinn learned the importance of feedback loops himself the hard way, after seeing the demise of one of his startups, medical consulting firm Metamed.
- "Peter Thiel-backed MetaMed brings personalized health care — but only to the 1 percent". VentureBeat. 1 March 2013.
- "Our Scientists, Doctors, & Researchers | MetaMed".[dead link]
- "Peter Thiel-backed MetaMed thinks you should have your own on-demand medical research team". The Next Web. 1 March 2013.
- Vance, Ashlee (13 June 2013). "MetaMed Enhances Medical Diagnoses With Data Analysts, Researchers". Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- "Estonian startup launches online medical consultation firm in the U.S.".
- "Why Personalized Healthcare Matters".[dead link]
- Mitchell, Luke (16 June 2013). "The $250,000 Physical". New York Magazine. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Young, Robin (24 July 2013). "A New Kind Of Second Opinion — At A Price". NPR Here and Now. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Pogorelc, Deanna (3 July 2013). "If a doctor’s opinion isn’t enough, MetaMed will sell you a team of personal medical researchers". Med City News. Retrieved 22 October 2013.