||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Wallis in 2008
October 7, 1945 |
St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.
|Residence||Tulsa, Oklahoma, U.S.|
|Education||Western Military Academy|
|Alma mater||University of Missouri|
|Occupation||Journalist, popular historian, voice actor|
Michael Wallis (born October 7, 1945) is an American journalist, popular historian and voice actor of the Western United States. He has written seventeen books, including Route 66: The Mother Road, about the historic highway U.S. Route 66. His work has also been published extensively in magazines and newspapers, including Time, Life, People, Smithsonian, The New Yorker, and The New York Times.
Awards and honors
Wallis has received the John Steinbeck Award, the Arrell Gibson Lifetime Achievement Award from the Oklahoma Center for the Book, the Will Rogers Spirit Award, and the Western Heritage Award from the National Cowboy Hall & Western Heritage Museum. He has been inducted into the Oklahoma Writers Hall of Fame, Writers Hall of Fame of America, and the Oklahoma Historians Hall of Fame, and was the first inductee into the Oklahoma Route 66 Hall of Fame.
Wallis graduated from Western Military Academy in Alton, Illinois in 1963. He later attended the University of Missouri in Columbia, and moved to Miami, Florida, in 1978, where he worked for Time's Caribbean Bureau. He currently lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma with his wife, Suzanne Fitzgerald Wallis.
- David Crockett: The Lion of the West. W. W. Norton & Company. 2011.
- The Wild West: 365 Days. Abrams. 2011.
- Billy the Kid: The Endless Ride. W. W. Norton & Company. 2008.
- The Lincoln Highway: Coast to Coast from Times Square to the Golden Gate. W. W. Norton & Company. 2007.
- Way Down Yonder in the Indian Nation. St. Martin's Press. 1997.
- Oil Man: The Story Of Frank Phillips & The Birth Of Phillips Petroleum. St. Martin's Griffin. 1995.
- Mankiller: A Chief and Her People. St. Martin's Press. 1994.
- Pretty Boy: The Life and Times of Charles Arthur Floyd. W. W. Norton & Company. 1992.
- Route 66: The Mother Road 75th Anniversary Edition. W. W. Norton & Company. 1990.
- Michael Wallis Online (official website)
- Michael Wallis at the Internet Movie Database
- Voices of Oklahoma interview with Michael Wallis. First person interview conducted on March 3, 2011, with Michael Wallis.
- Appearances on C-SPAN
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|