Michael Welland is a British geologist and expert on sand. His book Sand: a journey through science and the imagination (Oxford University Press 2009 ISBN 978-0199563180), published in the USA as Sand: the never-ending story (University of California Press 2009 ISBN 978-0520254374), won the 2010 John Burroughs Medal.
- "Sand and the Imagination". RadioNational: The Book Show. ABC (Australia). 28 July 2010. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- Robinson, Andrew (13 August 2009). "The world in a grain of sand (book review)". Nature. 460: 798–799. doi:10.1038/460798a.
- "John Burroughs Medal Award List". John Burroughs Association. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "Through the Sandglass". Retrieved 28 October 2012. Welland's personal website
- "Interview with Michael Welland, author of "Sand"". Education: Geology. about.com. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Sand: A journey through science and the imagination". Amazon. Retrieved 28 October 2012. Includes "Look inside" facility to view preface, selected pages and images
|This biographical article about a British geologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a writer or poet from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|