Michael Werner (publisher)
Michael Werner (* 1965 in Frankenthal/Germany) is a publisher of Pennsylvania German publications and writer of Pennsylvania German articles, prose and poetry. He is the founder and publisher of the only existing Pennsylvania German newspaper, Hiwwe wie Driwwe.
Werner was raised in the Palatinate (Germany). Members of his family had emigrated from this area to the U.S. in the 19th century. He studied at the University of Mannheim and holds a Master's degree in General Linguistics, Germans Studies and Sociology. His Ph.D. Thesis is dealing with Pennsylvania German literature. Werner is working as publishing director of a B2B publishing house in Mainz (Germany).
In 1993, he became a student of Prof. C. Richard Beam, director of the Center for Pennsylvania German Studies at Millersville University (PA). In the same year, Werner started a private "Archive for Pennsylvania German Literature" in the Palatinate, Germany. In 1996, the newspaper Hiwwe wie Driwwe was founded by him in Ebertsheim, Palatinate (Germany). Actually, it is being published bi-annually. Since 1998, he has been a member of the jury of the oldest Palatine Dialect Writers Contest in Bockenheim an der Weinstraße, Palatinate (Germany). In 2003, Michael Werner was one of the co-founders of the German-Pennsylvanian Association and the first president of the association (until 2010). Since 2008, Werner invites speakers of Pennsylvania German to give presentations about the language and culture in Germany. In 2013, "Hiwwe wie Driwwe" started a cooperation with the Pennsylvania German Cultural Heritage Center at Kutztown University (PA). The editorial office was moved to Pennsylvania in 2015. In 2017, Werner donated his private archive of Pennsylvania German literature and folk life to the Mennonite Research Center at Weierhof (Palatinate, Germany), where it will be presented to the public as "Deutsch-Pennsylvanisches Archiv" (German-Pennsylvanian Archive).
- Werner, Michael (Ed.): Hiwwe wie Driwwe. The Pennsylvania German Review (Newspaper). Ebertsheim/Ober-Olm/Kutztown 1997-.
- Werner, Michael: "Ebbes aus em alte Land". Newspaper Column. In: The Pennsylvania German Review (Kutztown, PA), 2001-2003.
- Werner, Michael: "Ebbes in die Mudderschprooch". Newspaper Column. In: The Diary (Gordonville, PA), 2003-2005.
- Werner, Michael: "S Katz Deitsch Schtick". Internet Blog. In: hiwwe-wie-driwwe.de. Ober-Olm 2002-.
- Werner, Michael et al. (Ed.): Mit Pennsylvanisch-Deitsch darich's Yaahr. A Pennsylvania German Reader for Grandparents and Grandchildren. Neckarsteinach 2006.
- Werner, Michael (Transl.): Es globbt beim Sammy in der Nacht (Children's Book). Neckarsteinach 2012.
- Werner, Michael: "Der Uncle Saem findt uns gedrei" - A Multimedia Performance (Texts, Music, Pictures & Videos), presented by the "New Paltz Band". Ober-Olm/Frankenthal/Schifferstadt 2013-.
- Werner, Michael (Transl.): Kumm, mer gehne Baere yaage (engl. Original: We're Going on a Bear Hunt, by Michael Rosen). Neckarsteinach/Morgantown (PA) 2014.
- Werner, Michael: Pennsylvanisch-Deitsch im Yahr 2015. A Hiwwe wie Driwwe Documentary. Published on youtube.com (30 minutes).
- Werner, Michael (Ed.): DEITSCH. News und Geschichten aus dem Pennsylvania Dutch Country. A Hiwwe wie Driwwe Publication (E-Paper). Ober-Olm 2015-.
|#||Year||Book||Hiwwe wie Driwwe Series|
|1.||2012||Michael Werner: Es globbt beim Sammy in der Nacht (Original: Es klopft bei Wanja in der Nacht, deutsch, 1985)||Hiwwe wie Driwwe Series No. 1|
|2.||2013||Walter Sauer: Es Haus, wu der Jack gebaut hot (Original: The House that Jack built, english, 1853)||Hiwwe wie Driwwe Series No. 2|
|3.||2014||Earl C. Haag: Der Schtruwwelpitter. 2nd Edition (Original: Der Struwwelpeter, deutsch, 1845)||Hiwwe wie Driwwe Series No. 3|
|4.||2014||Michael Werner: Kumm, mer gehne Baere yaage (Original: We're Going on a Bear Hunt, English, 1989)||Hiwwe wie Driwwe Series No. 4|
|5.||2016||Rachel Yoder: Penny Olive||Hiwwe wie Driwwe Series No. 5|
|6.||2016||Walter Sauer: Ebbes weeich die Watzelkinner||Hiwwe wie Driwwe Series No. 6|
|7.||2017||Mark L. Louden: De glee Brins (Original: Le petit prince)||Hiwwe wie Driwwe Series No. 7|
Awards and acknowledgements
- 1998: Member of the jury of the Palatine Dialect Writers Contest in Bockenheim (Palatinate, Germany)
- 2006: "Guest commentary" by the prime minister of Rhineland-Palatinate on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of "Hiwwe wie Driwwe"
- 2007: "10th J. William Frey Lecturer", Franklin & Marshall College (Lancaster, PA)
- 2012: "Medienpreis Pfalz", Bezirksverband Pfalz (short list) - for "Hiwwe wie Driwwe"
- 2015: "Emichsburg-Preis", Förderkreis Mundart Bockenheim e.V. - together with Frank Kessler, Dr. Walter Sauer and Doris Schweitzer in place of the "German-Pennsylvanian Association" (Deutsch-Pennsylvanischer Arbeitskreis e.V.)
- Werner, Michael (Ed.): "Hiwwe wie Driwwe - The Pennsylvania German Review", Ober-Olm 1997-2015.
- hiwwe-wie-driwwe.de: Retrieved on February 25, 2012
- Jennifer Trout: "One Possible Future of Pennsylvania German in the 21st Century - J. William Frey Lecture by Dr. Michael Werner, Ober-Olm, Germany. In: Journal of the Center for Pennsylvania German Studies. Vol. 14, No. 3 (Summer 2007): 4-5.