Michael Whelan (scientist)
HonFRMS FRS FInstP
|Born||2 November 1931 (age 88)|
|Doctoral advisor||Peter Hirsch|
Education and Career
Whelan completed his PhD at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge under the supervision of Peter Hirsch. He held research posts at the University of Cambridge until 1966 when he moved to the University of Oxford. As of 2011, Whelan is Emeritus Professor in the Department of Materials at the University of Oxford, England, and an Emeritus Fellow of Linacre College, Oxford.
In 1976 he was elected as Fellow of the Royal Society and Fellow of the Institute of Physics. He and Archibald Howie won the 1988 Hughes Medal of the Royal Society "for their contributions to the theory of electron diffraction and microscopy, and its application to the study of lattice defects in crystals". He also received the 1998 Distinguished Scientist Award in Physical Sciences from the Microscopy Society of America and the 1965 C.V. Boys Prize from the Institute of Physics. In 2001 he was elected honorary fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society. In 2011 he won the Gjønnes Medal in Electron Crystallography.
- Whelan, Prof. Michael John, (born 2 Nov. 1931), Professor of Microscopy of Materials, Department of Materials, University of Oxford, 1992–97, now Emeritus Professor; Fellow of Linacre College, Oxford, since 1967 | WHO'S WHO & WHO WAS WHO. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.39498.
- "Peter Hirsch". 2015-02-11. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "Linacre College: Fellows". Linacre College, Oxford. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- "Michael Whelan". royalsociety.org. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "Hughes archive winners 1989 – 1902". The Royal Society. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- "Awards and Scholarships: Society Awards". Microscopy Society of America. Archived from the original on 19 March 2011. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- "Moseley medal recipients". Institute of Physics. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- "Personal Homepages Oxford Materials". www.materials.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- Peng, L.-M.; Dudarev, S. L.; Whelan, M. J. (2004), High-energy electron diffraction and microscopy, Monographs on the physics and chemistry of materials, 61, Oxford University Press, ISBN 978-0-19-850074-2
- Michael J. Whelan's homepage at Oxford University
- Prof M J Whelan, FRS Authorised Biography – Debrett's People of Today
|This article about a physicist of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|