Michael Wolf (businessman)
|Michael J. Wolf|
Michael J. Wolf, November 11, 2014
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
|Occupation||Founder and CEO, Activate, Inc.|
|Board member of||iAmplify.com|
Wolf has served on the Board of Directors of several companies including: Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO), the multinational internet company headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, Entercom Communications Corporation. (NYSE: ETM), the fourth-largest broadcasting company in the United States, iAmplify.com, a Web-based content publisher/syndication network with the world's largest selection of expert video/audio downloads, and on the Board of Advisors for Slide.com, a leading social entertainment company, which was sold to Google for approximately $200 million in August 2010. Michael J. Wolf used to be the President and Chief Operating Officer of MTV Networks. During his tenure at MTV, Wolf became one of Mark Zuckerberg's early mentors, as chronicled in "The Facebook Effect", by David Kirkpatrick Wolf used to be a Director of McKinsey & Company, the international consultancy, and Head of its Global Media and Entertainment Practice. Before joining McKinsey in 2001, Wolf was a Senior Partner with Booz & Company, where he spearheaded its Media and Entertainment Group. Wolf is the author of various publications on the subjects of entertainment, economics, non-fiction, e-business strategies and the development of global media. Michael was named by Silicon Alley 100 as one New York's Coolest Tech People In 2010, 2012 and 2013.
On February 14, 2012, activist shareholder Daniel S. Loeb, of Third Point Partners, named Wolf as part of the proposed slate of directors for the board of Yahoo, Inc. After joining the board, Wolf helped recruit Marissa Mayer as Yahoo!'s President and CEO.
Work as writer and public speaker
His bestselling book on entertainment economics, "The Entertainment Economy: How Media Forces Are Transforming Our Lives" was published in the U.S. in 1999 and then globally. He is a frequent contributor and op-ed columnist for publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, and the New York Times, and has written for a number of journals and business publications.
Michael Wolf is also a well-known public speaker, entertainment economist and leader of media and entertainment programs, including heading panels at the World Economic Forum in Davos in 2009.
- The Entertainment Economy - Random House, New York, 1999, ISBN 0-8129-3042-8
- "Activist Investor Charts Plan to Revitalize Yahoo". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- 'Yahoo Appoints Michael J. Wolf to Board of Directors.” Seeking Alpha. May 14, 2012' (05.14.2012) Seeking Alpha at SeekingAlpha.com.com
- 'Entercom Communications Corp. Appoints Michael J. Wolf to Board of Directors.” Reuters. February 12, 2008' (02.12.2008) Reuters at Reuters.com
- iAmplify, Searching for online video's holy grail.” Fortune. February 4 2008.” Reuters. February 12, 2008' (02.04.2008) Fortune at CNNmoney.com
- HollywoodReporter, Michael J. Wolf joins Slide advisory board” Hollywoodreporter.com." April 30, 2009' (04.30.2009) Hollywood Reporter at Hollywoodreporter.com
- MTV Is Expected to Appoint Media Strategist as President.“ The New York Times November 01, 2005
- Wolf is big dog at MTV.” Daily Variety. November 2, 2005' (11.02.2005) Daily Variety at findarticles.com.com
- The Facebook Effect, by David Kirkpatrick, (05.06.10), CCN at CNN.com
- 'McKinsey WEF Biographies” ' (2004) Mckinsey & Company at mckinsey.com
- 'Michael Wolf Joins Rival McKinsey & Co.” The Los Angeles Times. March 9, 2001.” LA Times. March' (03.09.2001) LA Times at latimes.com
- Forbes Magazine, "Mergermania in Medialand”, Interview with Michael J. Wolf, Forbes. Published Forbes Magazine, October 23, 1995, (10.23.1995)
- The Wall Street Journal, "Here Comes Another Wave Of Media Mergers.”, Published Wall Street Journal, (02.21.2002)
- The Wall Street Journal, "Digitizing MGM's Roar.” The Wall Street Journal.”, Published Wall Street Journal, (04.27.2004)
- "Will Social Networks on The Web Ever Make Money?" Forbes Online' (02.19.2009) Forbes at Forbes.com
- "Michael was named by Silicon Alley 100 as one New York's Coolest Tech People In 2010, 2012, and 2013." Business Insider' (10.26.2010) Business Insider at businessinsider.com
- The Wall Street Journal, "Musical Bandits”, (05.01.2003)
- The Wall Street Journal, "In TV Land, Bigger Is Better”, (08.21.2000)
- The Wall Street Journal, "The Triumph of Broadband", (Jan.2000)
- Forbes Magazine, "Convergence", (August.2000)
- 'Michael J Wolf, The customer is in control.” SIME Conference 2008.' (2008) Blip.tv
- 'World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2009', (Jan.2009), Info Systems at infosys.com
- "Michael Wolf - Forbes". People.forbes.com. 2012-04-18. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- Tech, Media Veterans Team Up on New Consulting Firm (02.25.10)
- Media 100: A Seat at the Table: 22. - Michael Wolf, Media Magazine (12.29.08)
- Media land was gripped by merger mania. "If you weren't everywhere... you were nowhere." .... As Michael Wolf writes, branded retail is about "imprinting...GOOGLEPAGES.COM
- Activate.COM website
- Michael Wolf's Blog
- New York Times MTV Info
- NBA Tech Summit
- Business Week Trading The Bleachers For The Couch
- Milken Institute
- Book Reviews - The Entertainment Economy
- NO LOGO by Naomi Klein
- Mycrains top Executives
- World Economic Forum 2009
MTV Networks: CMT | Comedy Central | Logo | MTV | MTV2 | MTV En Español | MTV Networks Europe | MTV Networks Latin America | Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite/Nick Jr. | Noggin/The N | Spike TV | TV Land | VH1 | iFilm | Neopets | GameTrailers | NickToons Network | Nick GAS