Michael Wright (basketball)
Wright (left) with the 2010 PLK All-Star game MVP award
January 7, 1980|
|Died||November 10, 2015
Brooklyn, New York
|Nationality||American / Turkish|
|Listed height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Listed weight||238 lb (108 kg)|
|High school||Farragut Academy
|NBA draft||2001 / Round: 2 / Pick: 38th overall|
|Selected by the New York Knicks|
|2003–2004||Hapoel Tel Aviv|
|2005–2006||Beşiktaş Cola Turka|
|2006||Jeonju KCC Egis|
|2010–2011||Medical Park Trabzonspor|
|Career highlights and awards|
Michael Wright (January 7, 1980 – November 10, 2015) was an American-Turkish professional basketball player who last played for Cholet Basket of the LNB Pro A. He also held a Turkish citizenship. His Turkish name was Ali Karadeniz.
Wright played his high school basketball at Farragut Academy, where, as a freshman, he was part of one of the best teams in the country, which boasted future professionals Willie Farley and Ronnie Fields, as well as Minnesota Timberwolves superstar Kevin Garnett. At 2.01 m (6 ft 7 ¼ in), Wright played center after Garnett's departure, and moved to power forward in college.
At the University of Arizona, Wright started for the Wildcats in the 2001 NCAA Division I championship against the Duke Blue Devils. However, undersized for that position at the pro level, and too slow to be a small forward,he dropped to the second round of the 2001 NBA Draft where he was drafted by the New York Knicks.
After not joining the Knicks or any other NBA team post-draft, Wright moved overseas and switched teams almost every season. He started with Polish league champions Śląsk Wrocław, that also participated in the Euroleague, moving to Spain's CB Granada the following year.
In 2005, He moved to Beşiktaş Cola Turka of the Turkish Basketball League. He started the 2006-07 season in South Korea with Jeonju KCC Egis, in October signed with French and Euroleague's EB Pau Orthez.
On February 3, 2015, he signed with Cholet Basket of the French LNB Pro A. After averaging 1.7 points and 2 rebounds in 3 contests, Wright and Cholet parted ways. According to a family member interviewed after his death, Wright intended to return to Europe to play another two seasons before retirement.
On November 10, 2015, Wright was found dead in his sport utility vehicle in Brooklyn, New York, covered in trash bags in the vehicle's back seat. The medical examiner has determined that his death was a homicide.
- Michael Wright got Turkish citizenship[dead link]
- "Michael Wright become Ali Karadeniz". Salsabasket.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- Ostatnie wzmocnienia w PGE Turowie[dead link]
- "Turk Telekom Ankara announces Michael Wright". Sportando.net. 2011-07-13. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "Mersin lands Ali Karadeniz". Sportando.net. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- "Cholet lands Michael Wright". Sportando.com. 2015-02-03. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- Michael Wright leaves Cholet
- DeLessio, Joe (November 12, 2015). "Police Treating Former Knicks Draft Pick’s Death As a Homicide". New York Magazine. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- "Arizona basketball: Ex-Wildcat Michael Wright dead at 35". Arizona Daily Star. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- "Former Farragut star Michael Wright, 35, found dead in Brooklyn". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- College stats
- NBA Draft profile
- Eurobasket.com profile
- ACB profile (Spanish)
- TBLStat.net Profile
- Euroleague & Eurocup Profile