Michael Wright (basketball)
Wright (left) with the 2010 PLK All-Star game MVP award
January 7, 1980|
November 10, 2015 (aged 35)|
Brooklyn, New York
|Nationality||American / Turkish|
|Listed height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Listed weight||238 lb (108 kg)|
|NBA draft||2001 / Round: 2 / Pick: 38th overall|
|Selected by the New York Knicks|
|2003–2004||Hapoel Tel Aviv|
|2005–2006||Beşiktaş Cola Turka|
|2006||Jeonju KCC Egis|
|2010–2011||Medical Park Trabzonspor|
|Career highlights and awards|
High school career
Wright played his high school basketball at Farragut Academy, where, as a freshman, he was part of one of the best teams in the country, which boasted future professionals Willie Farley and Ronnie Fields, as well as Minnesota Timberwolves superstar Kevin Garnett. At 2.03 m (6 ft 8 in), Wright played center after Garnett's departure, and moved to power forward in college.
At the University of Arizona, Wright started for the Wildcats in the 2001 NCAA Division I championship against the Duke Blue Devils. However, undersized for that position at the pro level, and too slow to be a small forward,he dropped to the second round of the 2001 NBA draft where he was drafted by the New York Knicks.
Wright was drafted as the 39th pick in the 2001 NBA draft by the New York Knicks. After not joining the Knicks or any other NBA team, Wright moved overseas and switched teams almost every season. He started with Polish league champions Śląsk Wrocław, that also participated in the Euroleague, moving to Spain's CB Granada the following year.
In 2005, he moved to Beşiktaş Cola Turka of the Turkish Basketball League. He started the 2006–07 season in South Korea with Jeonju KCC Egis, in October signed with French and Euroleague's EB Pau Orthez.
On November 10, 2015, Wright was found dead in his sport utility vehicle in Brooklyn, New York, covered in trash bags in the vehicle's back seat. The medical examiner determined that his death was a homicide. Two men were charged in his death.
According to a family member interviewed after his death, Wright intended to return to Europe to play another two seasons before retirement.
Two men were charged on November 1, 2016: Mark A. Holdbrooks, 59, and alleged accomplice David Victor, 35, have been charged with murder and other offenses after a yearlong investigation. Holdbrooks, Wright's longtime roommate, allegedly reported him missing on November 8, 2015. Bergen County Prosecutor Gurbir S. Grewal did not specify a motive or mention how Wright was killed but said he had suffered "head trauma." 
- Michael Wright got Turkish citizenship[dead link]
- "Michael Wright become Ali Karadeniz". Salsabasket.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- Ostatnie wzmocnienia w PGE Turowie Archived December 10, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Turk Telekom Ankara announces Michael Wright". Sportando.net. July 13, 2011. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "Mersin lands Ali Karadeniz". Sportando.net. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- "Cholet lands Michael Wright". Sportando.com. February 3, 2015. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- Michael Wright leaves Cholet
- DeLessio, Joe (November 12, 2015). "Police Treating Former Knicks Draft Pick's Death As a Homicide". New York Magazine. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- "Arizona basketball: Ex-Wildcat Michael Wright dead at 35". Arizona Daily Star. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- "Former Farragut star Michael Wright, 35, found dead in Brooklyn". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- Two charged in ex-Arizona forward Michael Wright's 2015 death
- Roommate Allegedly Killed Former NBA Prospect then Accepted Donations for His Daughter: Police