|Born||Michael David Smith
27 November 1977
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Xavier attended St. Francis Xavier's College in Liverpool, Knutsford High School in Cheshire, and ultimately completed his professional acting training at the Manchester Metropolitan University in 1999. His first professional role was in the musical comedy Pageant at London's Vaudeville Theatre in 2000.
Work in theatre
Xavier has worked in lead roles on stage in the United Kingdom for nearly 15 years. Notable productions in which he has appeared include Miss Saigon, My Fair Lady, The Phantom of the Opera, Oklahoma!, and The Sound of Music. Most recently, he played Sid Sorokin opposite Joanna Riding in The Pajama Game at the Shaftesbury Theatre in London.
In 2008, Xavier played Rock Hudson in Tim Fountain's play Rock at the Unity Theatre in Liverpool, the Library Theatre in Manchester, and the Oval House Theatre in London. It went on to be produced as a radio play by production company Made in Manchester, and won the Best Online Only Audio Drama award at the BBC Audio Drama Awards in 2012.
Xavier has been nominated twice for a Laurence Olivier Award. He was first nominated for Best Performance in a Supporting Role in a Musical in 2011 for his performance as Cinderella's Prince/Wolf in Into The Woods at the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. The same year he was also nominated for the Best Actor in a Musical for his performance as Oliver in the musical Love Story at the Duchess Theatre. In January 2017, Xavier's lead performance in "Sunset Boulevard" (at the London Coliseum) won the 2016 BroadwayWorld UK/West End Award for Best Actor in a New Production of a Musical.
Major theatre credits
Presenting, recording, and film work
In 2013, Xavier co-presented the Olivier Awards BBC Radio 2 Covent Garden Stage with Claudia Winkleman, and returned again in 2014 to co-present on the ITV Stage with Myleene Klass. He also hosted the UK Theatre Awards at the historic Guildhall in the City of London in both 2013 and 2014.
Xavier's film work includes his portrayal of Tom in the 2014 production Never Let Go with director Howard J Ford for Latitude Films, scheduled for release in 2015. In 2013, he appeared as Rob in the short film Gnomeland by writer/director Francesca Jaynes, as well as playing a Russian Gulag Prisoner in Walt Disney Pictures' Muppets Most Wanted, filmed at Pinewood Studios.
In addition, Xavier has worked as a recording artist, with both radio and original soundtrack credits to his name. In 2007, BBC Radio 2 presented a special edition of Friday Night is Music Night, celebrating the work of Leonard Bernstein and the 50th anniversary of West Side Story. Paul Gambaccini presented the program at London's Mermaid Theatre, featuring the BBC Concert Orchestra and Xavier as Tony. He also played Artie Green in the BBC Radio 2 live recording of Sunset Boulevard, performed at the Cork Opera House with Michael Ball and Petula Clark. Outside of radio, his work in recordings includes Bumblescratch (2016 London Concert Cast Recording) Collaborations: The Songs of Elliot Davis (2013), Lift (2012 Concept Album), Soho Cinders (2011 Concert Cast), Love Story (2011 Original London Cast), and Little Women (2004 Studio Cast).
Musical Theatre Masterclass
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Xavier is the Principal of Musical Theatre Masterclass, a training school for musical theatre students which aims to aid them in gaining acceptance to professional training colleges. The school runs every Sunday, based at the Umbrella Rooms in the West End. Teachers include Anna Tringham (Head of Acting), Ross Sharkey (Head of Singing), Lucinda Lawrence (Head of Dance) and Lucas James (Dance Assistant). Students are also taught by performers and practitioners including Kerry Ellis, Ramin Karimloo, Rebecca Trehearn, Marc Antolin, Robbie Sherman, Katie Brayben and Matt Henry. The students are often given an opportunity to perform at various charity and West End events at which Xavier also appears. The students also appear at a Christmas concert at St Paul's, Covent Garden, alongside industry professionals. The 2016 concert was hosted by Rufus Hound.
- Hemley, Matthew. "Love Never Dies leads Olivier Awards nominations". www.thestage.co.uk. The Stage. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Chichester Festival Theatre - Michael Xavier". www.cft.org.uk. Chichester Festival Theatre. Archived from the original on 25 November 2014. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- Herbert, I (2000). Theatre Record (Volume 20, Issues 9-18 ed.). I. Herbert. pp. 614–615.
- "Pageant Confirmed for West End Run". www.whatsonstage.com. WhatsonStage. Archived from the original on 16 June 2014. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- Bosanquet, Theo. "Pajama Game confirms West End transfer, Michael Xavier and Joanna Riding star". www.whatsonstage.com. WhatsonStage. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- Murphy, Paul. "The winners of the first BBC Audio Drama Awards". www.bbc.co.uk. BBC Radio Blog. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Rock Hudson radio drama wins BBC award". www.pinknews.co.uk. Pink News. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Into the Woods wins 2011 Laurence Olivier Award". www.digitaltheatre.com. Archived from the original on 10 March 2015. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- Robertson, Willie. Michael Ball - The Biography. John Blake. ISBN 1857826744. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- Shenton, Mark. "Soho Cinders to Premiere at London's Soho Theatre, With Cast Led by Jenna Russell and Michael Xavier". www.playbill.com. Playbill. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Claudia Winkleman & Michael Xavier to host the BBC Radio 2 Stage during Olivier Awards". www.westendframe.com. West End Frame. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "Olivier Awards 2014". www.olivierawards.com. Olivier Awards. Archived from the original on 18 December 2014. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "Winners of 2013 UK Theatre Awards Announced". www.uktheatre.org. UK Theatre. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "UK Theatre Awards 2014 - Winners Announced". www.uktheatre.org. UK Theatre. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "Howard J Ford's Never Let Go enters post production". www.liveforfilm.com. Live For Films. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "Gnomeland - Cast". www.gnomelandthefilm.com. For George Films. Archived from the original on 9 December 2014. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "Friday Night is Music Night". www.bbc.co.uk. BBC. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- Hemley, Matthew. "Radio 2 marks 50 years of West Side Story". www.thestage.co.uk. The Stage. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "Sunset Boulevard - Cork Concert Revival 2014". www.ovrtur.com. Ovrtur. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "Michael Xavier Discography". www.castalbums.org. CastAlbums. Retrieved 9 December 2014.