Michael Yezerski is an Australian composer known for his scores for feature films such as The Waiting City, The Black Balloon (for which he won an APRA Award and a Screen Music Award), Newcastle, and Thursday's Fictions, as well as collaborations with the Australian Chamber Orchestra and the Gondwana Voices Children's Choir (such as an adaptation of Shaun Tan's book The Red Tree), the National Museum of Canberra, Synergy Percussion and The Physical TV Company.
Filmography as composer
|Ah Hu's Retreat||2001||Documentary short film|
|A Matter of Life||Short film|
|The Other Son||Short film|
|No Surrender||2002||Short film|
|Broken Beat||2005||Short film|
|Burma's Open Road: An Insight Into Myanymar||2007||Documentary|
|La même nuit||Short film|
|Reincarnating Thursday's Fictions||2008||Documentary|
|Night Train||Short film|
|Sisters||Documentary short film|
|The Last Mahout||Documentary|
|The Black Balloon|
|Storm Surfers, Dangerous Banks||Documentary|
|The Waiting City|
|Stay Awake||Short film|
|Providence Park||Short film|
|The Lost Thing||Short film|
|Little Hands||2011||Short film|
|The Gold Pen||Short film|
|Boo!||Short film; theme music composer|
|Storm Surfers 3D||Documentary|
|A Man Walks Into a Bar||2013||Short film|
|The Last Impresario||Documentary|
|Baby Baby||2014||Short film|
|Transformers: Age of Extinction||additional music|
|The Little Death|
|Only the Dead||2015||Documentary|
|Talk to Someone||Short film|
|The Devil's Candy|
|The Ravens||Short film|
|We Don't Belong Here||2017|
|The Beehive||Short film|
|Undercover Angels: Sex, Spies, and Surveillance||2005||Documentary|
|The Sun's Search for the Moon||2007||Mini-series|
|Storm Surfers: New Zealand||Television film|
|A Place to Call Home||2013–present|
|House of Hancock||Miniseries|
|Peter Allen: Not the Boy Next Door||Miniseries|
|Home and Away: An Eye for an Eye||Television film|
|Hyde & Seek|
|The Secret Daughter|
|Confess||2017||1 episode: "They're All Confessions"|
Awards and nominations
The annual APRA Awards include the Screen Music Awards which are presented by Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA) and Australian Guild of Screen Composers (AGSC). The APRA Awards also include the Classical Music Awards which are distributed by APRA and the Australian Music Centre (AMC).
- 2008 Screen Music Awards, Best Original Song Composed for the Screen win for "When We Get There" on The Black Balloon composed by Josh Pyke and Michael Yezerski.
- 2008 Screen Music Awards, Best Original Song Composed for the Screen nomination for "The Greatest Act in History" on The Black Balloon, composed by Yezerski.
- 2008 Screen Music Awards, Best Soundtrack Album win for The Black Balloon composed by Yezerski.
- 2009 Classical Music Awards, Best Composition by an Australian Composer nomination for The Red Tree composed by Yezerski and Richard Tognetti.
- "The Black Balloon and Underbelly claim music honours". The Age. Melbourne. 4 November 2008. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- Mengel, Noel (5 November 2008). "Stevie Wonder, Tim Finn bring tears of joy". Courier Mail. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- Wilson, Ashleigh (4 July 2008). "Music completes the picture". The Australian. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "Screen Awards". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Archived from the original on 25 March 2010. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- "Classical Awards". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Archived from the original on 25 March 2010. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- "2008 Winners - Screen Music Awards". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Archived from the original on 8 March 2011. Retrieved 29 April 2010.
- "2008 Nominations - Screen Music Awards". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Archived from the original on 8 March 2011. Retrieved 29 April 2010.
- "2009 Finalists - Classical Music Awards". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Retrieved 24 April 2010.