Michael Schein (later Zohary) was born into a Jewish family in Bóbrka, near Lviv (then Austria-Hungarian Empire). He immigrated to the British Mandate for Palestine in 1920. After working building roads, he attended the Teacher's Seminary in Jerusalem. He published the monumental Geobotanical Foundations of the Middle East. He was responsible for introduction of the important principle of antiteleochory which adumbrated that seed germination of the desert plant is ensured by dispersal near the parent plant. His son, Daniel Zohary (1926-2006) was also a highly published botanist specializing in prehistoric plant domestication.
In 1952 he was appointed professor of botany at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Shortly before his death he published the comprehensive Plants of the Bible.
- Hebrew studies - Volumes 25-26 -1984 Page 230 "Professor Michael Zohary is professor emeritus of botany at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. For half a century he has been studying the biblical flora and is regarded as the outstanding authority on the subject. His work has been published in several books and articles, earning him a number of distinguished awards. "
- Bóbrka, Galicia - ShtetLinks
- Atrakji, Eleanor (6 July 2014). "The Mount Scopus BOTANTICAL GARDEN". botanic-garden.huji.ac.il. Archived from the original on 2 August 2014. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- IPNI. Zohary.
- "Israel Prize recipients in 1954 (in Hebrew)". Israel Prize Official Site. Archived from the original on February 11, 2010.
- Zohary M. Die verbreitungsökologischen Verhältnisse der Pflanzen Palaestinas. Beiheifte zum Botanischen Zentralblatt 61A (1937): 1-155.
- Zohary, Michael & Naomi Feinbrun-Dothan. Flora Palaestina. Part 1. Equisetaceae to Moringaceae; Part 2. Platanaceae to Umbelliferae; Part 3. Ericaceae to Compositae. Jerusalem, Academy of Sciences and Letters. 1966-79. Textvolumes and Plate volumes.
- Zohary, Michael. Geobotanical foundations of the Middle East. Stuttgart, G. Fischer, 1973. 2 v. (x, 738 p.) illus. 25 cm. ISBN 90-265-0157-9
- Avishai Shmida and David Heller, Michael Zohary - Giant of Israel Botany, in "Israel - Land and Nature" Fall 1983, ppg. 33-35. ISSN 0333-6867