|Born||17 August 1987 (age 28)
|Nationality||Poland, United Kingdom|
|Education||Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design|
|Known for||Photography, Video, Installation, Drawing, Neon|
Life and works
Born in 1987 in Lublin, Poland. He studied visual arts at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design (2009–2011).
From 2007 Martychowiec has been creating number of topical photographic series, as well as video projections and extensive installations using diverse media: photography, film, drawing, installation, neon, objects.
From 2010, he has been working on various opera productions, creating installations, which are specific reinterpretations of time and space, and incorporate different media. Recent projects include ones for Poznan Opera House (Poland) (multi-channel video installation).
Artist’s practice is a means by which to explore, by alternative means, philosophical ideas that complement his research. He applies notions of Eastern philosophy with a direct reference to the European aesthetics. He is concerned with historic phenomena brought into contemporary contexts, through creation of which he questions and reinterprets existing forms and ideas. His work is characterised by minimalistic aesthetic.
A series Destination: The Magic Mountain was first to clearly indicate his direction, it became part of an exhibition Awake and Dream at Palazzo Doná in Venice, headquarters of Signum Foundation. Following the exhibition a project commissioned by the foundation - Awake and Dream. Documentation was created and followed by 3 exhibitions, 2 of them accompanied Art and Documentation Festival and Międzynarodowy Festiwal Fotografii FotoFestiwal (International festival of photography in Lodz) while the other was shown in the place of the project's creation: Palazzo Doná.
The latter project is one from the series of documentations of considerable problematic exhibitions, where Martychowiec raises an individual dialogue with history and art.
At the same time, Martychowiec is collaborating with number of niche fashion magazines and other commercial publications including European Vogues, Glamour and Vanity Fair creating, directing and projecting photographic fashion series.
Works in collection
- Signum Foundation, Venice
- Galerie Denise Rene, Paris
- Cruz-Diez Foundation, Houston, Texas
- British Artists' Film & Video Study Collection, London
- Siena Art Institute, Siena
- Videoinsight Foundation,Turin
- Bank PEKAO SA, Warsaw
- Nel mezzo del cammin Michal Martychowiec, Galleria Upp, Venice 2011 ISBN 978-88-906106-6-0
- Awake and Dream.Documentation /photographs and films/, Michal Martychowiec, Signum Foundation Palazzo Doná, Venice 2009. ISBN 978-83-929715-4-2
- Awake and Dream/Svegliati e sogna, Signum Foundation Palazzo Doná, Venezia, 2009
- Awake and Dream.Documentation /photographs and films/, Michal Martychowiec, Signum Foundation Palazzo Doná, Venice 2009
- Grzegorz Musial, Awake and Dream. Documentation, Venezia 2009
- Venezia News, Issue 140, 141, Venezia 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michal Martychowiec.|