This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Michal Ničík|
October 4, 1971 |
Zilina, Slovak Republic
|Genres||Film score, Theatre music, contemporary classical music|
Michal Novinski (born Michal Nicik, 1971 in Slovakia) is a music composer best known for his film scores and theatre music. He received two Czech Lion Awards for scores for the films Kooky and In the Shadow.
Novinski's career started when he was 19 with a commission from the Slovak National Theatre for a ballet The Light in the Darkness (Slovak: Svetlo v tme), directed and choreographed by Ondrej Šoth. The success of this project was followed by a collaboration with the Slovak mime artist Milan Sládek. Novinski eventually worked with prestigious theaters in Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Hungary, including the National Theatre in Prague and Vígszínház Theatre in Budapest.
He was awarded Czech Film and Television Academy Award Czech Lion for Best Music for the film Kooky (Czech: Kuky se vrací, 2010), directed by the Oscar-winning director Jan Svěrák. He also won Slovak Film and Television Academy Slnko v sieti Award in 2010 for the Best Original Score for Jiří Chlumský’s film Broken Promise (Slovak: Nedodržaný sľub, 2009) and in 2014 for the Best Original Score for David Ondříček's film In the Shadow (Czech: Ve stínu, 2012), together with Jan P. Muchow. In 2016 he won the FICX Award for the Best Original Score for the film The Teacher (2016) at the 54. Gijon International Film Festival, Spain.
Novinski’s recent works include original score for the critically acclaimed film In the Shadow (Czech: Ve stínu, 2012) by David Ondříček, co-written with his longtime collaborator Jan P. Muchow. The film received the Czech Film Critics’ Award 2012 and Czech Golden Lion Award 2012 for the best original score, among other prizes.
- Po strništi bos (Barefoot On Stalks) by Jan Svěrák (2017)
- Žlta (Yellow) by Ivana Šebestová (2017)
- Sloboda pod nakládom (Freedom Under Load) by Pavol Barabáš (2016)
- Učiťelka (The Teacher) by Jan Hřebejk (2016)
- 5. október (5. October) by Martin Kollár (2015)
- vlna vs. breh (wave vs. shore) by Martin Štrba (2014)
- Anděle (Angels) by Alice Nellis (2014)
- Tři bratři (Three Brothers) by Jan Svěrák (2014)
- Ve Stinu (In the Shadow) by David Ondříček (2012)
- Tigre v Meste (Tigers in the City) by Juraj Krasnohorský (2012)
- Trou De Fer (The Iron Hole) by Pavol Barabáš (2011)
- Kto Je Tam? by Vanda Raýmanová (2010)
- Mongolsko - V Tieni Dzingischana (Mongolia: In the Shadow of Genghis Khan) by Pavol Barabáš (2010)
- Kooky by Jan Svěrák (2010)
- Nedodrzaný slub (Broken Promise) by Jiří Chlumský (2009)
- Carstensz - Siedma Hora (Carstensz - The Seventh Summit) by Pavol Barabáš (2008)
- Neznáma Antarktída by Pavol Barabáš (2007)
- Tepuy - Cesta Do Hlbin Zeme (Tepuy - Journey to the Depths of the Earth) by Pavol Barabáš (2006)
- Pururambo by Pavol Barabáš (2005)
- Amazonia Vertical by Pavol Barabáš (2005)
- Omo - Cesta do praveku by Pavol Barabáš (2002)
- Ordinace v ruzové zahrade (1 episode, 2006)
- Kriminálka Andel (2008 - 2014)
- Mesto tieňov (City of the Shadows) (2008)
Awards and nominations
- 1993, won Litfond Award for Music for Cyrano at Theatre Astroka Korzo
- 1999, DOSKY Award for 'Best Theatre Music'
- 2004, DOSKY Award for 'Best Theatre Music'
- 2006, DOSKY Award for 'Best Theatre Music'
- 2010, won Slnko v sieti Award for 'Best Original Music Score' for Broken Promise (2009)
- 2011, won Film Europe Award at IFF Bratislava for 'successful presentation of Slovak film Abroad'
- 2011, won Czech Lion for 'Best Film Music' for Kooky (2010)
- 2012, won Czech Film Critics Award for 'Best Original Score' for In the Shadow (2012)
- 2013, won Czech Lion for 'Best Original Score' for In the Shadow (2013)
- 2014, won Slnko v sieti Award for 'Best Original Music Score' for In the Shadow
- 2014, nominated for Czech Lion Award (Český Lev) for the 'Best Original Score' for films Three Brothers (2014) and Angels (2014)
- 2016, won FICX Award for the Best Original Score for the film The Teacher (2016) at the 54. Gijon International Film Festival, Spain
- 2017, won Slnko v sieti Award for the Best Music for the film The Teacher
- Sezóna:. "Michal Novinski, Slovenské národné divadlo". Snd.sk. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Jóembert keresünk | Vígszínház". Vigszinhaz.hu. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Český lev 2010 - Výsledky - Český lev". Kinobox.cz. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Kooky: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. 2010-06-05. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "slnko v sieti - národné filmové ceny". Slnkovsieti.sk. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "In the Shadow: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. 2012-11-21. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Review: Czech Oscar Entry 'In the Shadow,' Sleek Neo-Noir and Gorgeously Old-Fashioned Policier | Thompson on Hollywood". Blogs.indiewire.com. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- Eddie Cockrell. "In the Shadow". Variety. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "In the Shadow is best film according to Czech film critics". Cineuropa. 2013-01-28. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "In the Shadow rules the anniversary edition of Czech Lions". Cineuropa. 2013-03-04. Retrieved 2013-03-26.