Micheál Ó Conghaile (writer)
Micheál Ó Conghaile (born 1962) is an Irish-language writer who lives in Indreabhán, County Galway, Ireland. He was born on the island of Inishtravin in Conamara and was raised in an Irish-speaking community.
In 1985 Ó Conghaile founded Irish-language publishing company Cló Iar-Chonnacht. It publishes books, music and spoken word albums. It is one of the few such companies that employ full-time editors, and he founded it because many Conamara writers were still unpublished. He believes in the importance both of popular works and a high literary standard.
His own work includes short stories, a novel, drama, poetry and history. He has translated Martin McDonagh's plays The Beauty Queen of Leenane and The Lonesome West. Ó Conghaile's awards include The Butler Literary Award of the Irish American Cultural Institute (1997) and the 1997 Hennessy Literary Award for his short story "Athair".
He was writer in residence at Queen's University, Belfast, and at the University of Ulster at Coleraine between 1999 and 2002. His works have been translated into Romanian, Croatian, Albanian, German and English.
- Mac an tSagairt, Gallimh, Cló Iar-Chonnacht, 1986
- Comhrá Caillí, 1987
- Conamara agus Árainn 1880–1980, 1993
- Gnéithe d’Amhráin Chonamara ár Linne, 1993
- An Fear a Phléasc 1997
- Sna Fir, 1999
- Seachrán Jeaic Sheáin Johnny, 2002
- An Fear nach nDéanann Gáire, 2003
- Cúigear Chonamara/The Connemara Five, Úna Ní Chonchúir, 2007
- Jude/Gaeilgeoir Deireanach Charna/Incubus, with Breandán Ó hEaghra and Caitríona Ní Chonaola, 2007
- Pádraig Ó Siadhail, "An Fear Aniar: An Interview with Micheál Ó Conghaile", The Canadian Journal of Irish Studies, Vol. 31, No. 2, Fall 2005, pp. 54–59.
- Breandán Delap, interview with Micheál Ó Conghaile, Beo, Eagrán 112, Lúnasa, 2010: "Tá a fhios agam go raibh easpa mór leabhair Ghaeilge ann blianta ó shin, ach tá réimse leathan go maith ann anois agus sílim go bhfuil dualgas orainn caighdeán níos airde a bheith againn ná mar a bhíodh ann, b’fhéidir deich nó fiche bliain ó shin."
- "Ó Conghaile, Micheál", Irish Writers Online (a concise dictionary of Irish writers).