March 29, 1962 |
Paris Dauphine University
|Employer||France Telecom (2003-2006)
Michel Combes (born March 29, 1962) is a French businessman. He is Chief Executive Officer at Sprint, and has held CEO roles at Vodafone Europe, Alcatel-Lucent and Altice.
Early life and education
Combes was born March 29, 1962. He attended the Lycée Louis-le-Grand in Paris, then graduated from École Polytechnique in 1983, Télécom ParisTech, Paris Dauphine University and Conservatoire national des arts et métiers (Cnam).
On February 22, 2013, the Alcatel-Lucent board of directors appointed Combes as the company’s CEO, succeeding Ben Verwaayen (effective April 1). On June 19, 2013, Combes announced plans to focus Alcatel-Lucent's operations on networking products and high-speed broadband in order to cut costs by 1 billion euros by 2015. He left Alcatel-Lucent in September 2015, after Nokia announced its intention to buy the company but before the merger was complete, to join Altice as COO. He became Altice's CEO in 2016, and was replaced in November 2017.
He has two children.
- (in French) École polytechnique, search tool
- Michel Combes, in Who's Who in France, 2009
- "LSA : Biographie de Michel Combes" (in French).
- Alcatel-Lucent names Michel Combes as CEO Reuters, February 22nd 2013
- "New CEO begins Alcatel makeover".
- Thomson, Adam (2 September 2015). "French economy minister slams Michel Combes' Alcatel-Lucent exit". Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- Sassard, Sophie (10 November 2017). "Altice ousts CEO after shares dropped 30 percent in a week". Reuters. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "Sprint appoints former Altice head Michel Combes as CFO". Reuters. 2018-01-04. Retrieved 2018-01-04.
- Aiello, Chloe (2 May 2018). "Sprint names Michel Combes as CEO and Marcelo Claure as executive chairman". CNBC. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
|CEO of Alcatel-Lucent
|CEO of Altice