Michel Xavier Goemans
December 1964 (age 57)
|Thesis||Analysis of Linear Programming Relaxations for a Class of Connectivity Problems (1990)|
|Doctoral advisor||Dimitris Bertsimas|
|Doctoral students||Jon Kleinberg|
David P. Williamson
Michel Xavier Goemans (born December, 1964) is a Belgian-American professor of applied mathematics and the RSA Professor of Mathematics at MIT working in discrete mathematics and combinatorial optimization at CSAIL and MIT Operations Research Center.
Goemans earned his doctorate in 1990 from MIT. Goemans is the "Leighton Family Professor" of Applied Mathematics at MIT and an adjunct professor at the University of Waterloo. He was also a professor at the University of Louvain and a visiting professor at the RIMS of the University of Kyoto.
In 1991 he received the A.W. Tucker Prize. From 1995 to 1997 he was a Sloan Fellow. In 1998 he was an Invited Speaker of the International Congress of Mathematicians in Berlin. For the academic year 2007–2008 he was a Guggenheim Fellow.
Goemans is a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (2008), a fellow of the American Mathematical Society (2012), and a fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (2013). In 2000 he was awarded the MOS-AMS Fulkerson Prize for joint work with David P. Williamson on the semidefinite programming approximation algorithm for the maximum cut problem. In 2012 Goemans was awarded the Farkas Prize. In 2022 he received the AMS Steele Prize for Seminal Contribution to Research.
His hobby is sailing. Goemans has Belgian and US citizenship.
- Michel Goemans at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "School of Science appoints 11 faculty members to named professorships". MIT News | Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Retrieved 2021-11-03.
- Goemans, Michel X. (1998). "Semidefinite programming and combinatorial optimization". Doc. Math. (Bielefeld) Extra Vol. ICM Berlin, 1998, vol. III. pp. 657–666.
- Michel Goemans, ACM Fellows, United States 2008, retrieved 2015-10-19
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-01-19.
- SIAM Fellows: Class of 2013, retrieved 2015-10-19.
- Past Winners of the Fulkerson Prize, retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "Michel Goemans is selected as the winner of the 2012 INFORMS Optimization Society Farkas Prize". informs.org.
- AMS Steele Prize for Seminal Contribution to Research 2022