|Date of birth||17 May 1989|
|Place of birth||Sierre, Switzerland|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|2010–2012||→ Novara (loan)||64||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:20, 23 September 2014 (UTC).
Born to an Italian father and a Swiss mother, Morganella is a product of the FC Basel youth system and plays as a right-back or a wide-right midfielder. He first came in to the Basel team at the end of the 2006–07 season, playing in three games that campaign. In the 2007–08 campaign he was given the #4 jersey, later starting to be featured on the first team.
Morganella then signed a new three-year contract at Basel, with the club moving quickly to freshen up his expiring deal. This deal was intended to keep him at St. Jakob-Park until 2011.
However, on 30 January 2009, following days of speculation about his future, Palermo officially announced to have signed Morganella from FC Basel on a four-year and a half contract, He thus became the first Swiss footballer to play for the rosanero.
On 31 January 2011 Palermo announced to have sold 50% of Morganella's transfer rights to Novara along with Samir Ujkani (both tagged for €1.5M), as part of a bid involving striker Pablo Andrés González for €5 million. He concluded the season with a historic promotion to Serie A.
On 30 July 2012, following the Swiss team's defeat to South Korea, the Swiss Olympic Committee expelled Morganella from the games after he posted on Twitter a message translating to "I'm going to beat up every Korean. Go on – burn yourselves! Bunch of mongoloids." Morganella later apologized.
Titles and honours
- "michael morganella novara - Serie B" (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
- "Morganella: La mia partita in Champions League" (in Italian). Mediagol.it. 10 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "ACQUISTATO MORGANELLA DAL BASILEA". US Città di Palermo. 30 January 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-30.
- "PRESENTAZIONE MORGANELLA FELICE DI ESSERE IN ROSANERO" (in Italian). US Città di Palermo. 10 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "MOVIMENTI IN USCITA DEL PALERMO" (in Italian). US Città di Palermo. 16 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- "Bilancio Palermo 2010/11: utile grazie a Cavani e Kjaer" (in Italian). ju29ro.com. 8 February 2012. Retrieved 3 April 2012.
- "ACQUISTATO PABLO ANDRES GONZALEZ" (in Italian). US Città di Palermo. 31 January 2011. Retrieved 31 January 2011.[dead link]
- "MOVIMENTI DI MERCATO" [MARKET MOVEMENTS] (in Italian). US Città di Palermo. 22 June 2012. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- "Olympics football: Michel Morganella expelled for racist tweet". Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "Swiss Olympic expels player for racist tweet". Swissinfo. 30 July 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "Switzerland Olympic team expels footballer from London Games over racist Twitter message". AP / Washington Post. 30 July 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "Zwei weitere Titel für FCB-Nachwuchs" (in German). FC Basel 1893. 2006. Retrieved 2006-06-18.
- Profile at FC Basel (German)
- Profile at Swiss Football League Website (German)
- Michel Morganella at National-Football-Teams.com