Michelangelo Baracchi Bonvicini
Michelangelo Baracchi Bonvicini is President of Atomium - European Institute for Science, Media and Democracy launched publicly together with the former French President and Honorary President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing on 27 November 2009 at the European Parliament.
He reported the war in Kosovo (1999) for the Italian editorial group Quotidiano Nazionale,. In the following years he traveled as a journalist in Kosovo, Albania and Montenegro, then in Israel and Palestine during the second Intifada (2002) and in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran, following the US invasion of Afghanistan (2003). In 2003 he published the book Sognando Gerusalemme resulting from his stay in Israel and Palestine in 2002.
Atomium - European Institute for Science, Media and Democracy
Together with the former President of France Valéry Giscard d’Estaing he promoted the start-up of Atomium - European Institute for Science, Media and Democracy, a European platform for the exchange and dissemination of European research.
The start-up was kept confidential until the public launch on 27 November 2009, when he and Giscard d’Estaing presented the organisation to the European Parliament in Brussel, during its first annual conference.
In 2011, Baracchi Bonvicini and the former President of France Giscard d’Estaing received the medal "Plus Ratio Quam Vis" from the Polish university Jagiellonian University for "their contribution to the European academic community by founding Atomium - European Institute for Science, Media and Democracy". The medal was first awarded in 1997 to mark the 600th anniversary of the university's re-foundation to Pope John Paul II.
In September 2012, during the negotiations regarding the EU budget for 2014-2020, Baracchi Bonvicini and Giscard d’Estaing together with the former prime minister of Spain Felipe González Márquez, jointly signed the appeal "For a European Consciousness, For a More Competitive Europe" published by numerous European newspapers including Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, El País, Il Sole 24 Ore and The Irish Times.
Baracchi Bonvicini has worked together with Massimo Marchiori to design and set-up REIsearch, a non-profit European initiative co-funded by the European Commission, Nokia, Elsevier, and other Atomium partners.
REIsearch was launched on February 2016. This platform is designed to connect citizens, researchers and policy makers on topics linked to scientific research and to societal challenges that Europe will face in the years to come.
In March 2016 the President of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker declared: "Innovation and new scientific discoveries are improving people's lives and making our economy more competitive. Science should be open and freed from its traditional ivory tower; to be discussed, submitted to critique and fed with new perspectives. That's why I warmly welcome efforts such as the REIsearch initiative to get Europeans engaged in the debate about science and research and inspire fresh ideas about how to solve some of our society's most pressing problems".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2 October 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Atomium – European Institute for Science, Media and Democracy". Atomium.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 April 2013. Retrieved 23 April 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Baracchi Bonvicini, Michelangelo (28 March 2018). "Sognando Gerusalemme" – via sbn.it.
- "Universidad Autónoma de Madrid - Atomium Culture". www.uam.es.
- "Persconferentie: (Public Launch of the First Permanent Platform for European Excellence, Brussel". www.parlement.com.
- "Kalendarz - Jagiellonian University". www.uj.edu.pl.
- "Commendation". http://www.uj.edu.pl/documents/10172/cc33e36f-709e-4916-8d9c-232b7944e984. External link in
- "Atomium Culture: Ein Appell For a European Consciousness. For a More Competitive Europe". FAZ.NET.
- Márquez, Felipe González; d'Estaing, Valéry Giscard; Bonvicini, Michelangelo Baracchi (10 September 2012). "Por una conciencia europea" – via elpais.com.
- "Un'Europa più cosciente e competitiva - Confindustria Toscana". www.confindustria.toscana.it.
- "Education and innovation key to prosperity, says EU body".
- m.b.H., STANDARD Verlagsgesellschaft. "Koordinierter Kampf gegen chronische Krankheiten".
- País, El (27 April 2016). "Un puente entre ciudadanos, investigadores y políticas en salud" – via elpais.com.
- "Wyborcza.pl". wyborcza.pl.
- Libre.be, La. "REIsearch, une passerelle nécessaire entre citoyens, chercheurs et décideurs politiques".
- "Participez à l'enquête en ligne: Combien de temps aimeriez-vous vivre ?". 6 October 2015.
- "Want to have a say in European health policy? Take our survey".
- Elsevier. "REIsearch platform connects researchers with citizens, media and policymakers".
- AI4People. "AI4People".
- Oxford Internet Institute. "The Year of Floridi".
- Digital Ethics Lab. "AI4P: Europe's first global forum on the social impact of AI".