Michele Borghetti (born 13 March 1973 in Livorno) is an Italian grandmaster of international draughts, Italian draughts and English draughts (also known as "American checkers" or "straight checkers"). In English draughts he is the current World Champion in both 3-move and GAYP versions.
Borghetti won the 2010 WCDF World Qualifier to earn the right to challenge defending champion Alex Moiseyev in the 2011 3-Move World Title Match. The match took place in Cleveland and was won by Moiseyev. At the 2012 World Mind Sports Games in Lille, Borghetti won the gold medal in the checkers tournament, which was doubled as the World Qualifying Tournament. This victory enabled him to qualify again for the world title match with Moiseyev and on 28 June 2013, Borghetti became the 3-Move Checkers World Champion. In 2015 he successfully defended his world title against Lubabalo Kondlo in Livorno.
In 2017 Borghetti won the first 3-Move European Championship.
- Stefano Iacono, Paolo Fasce. "Federazione Italiana Dama" (in Italian). Fid.it. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- Heaton, Michael (2011-08-08). "World-title checkers tournament to begin in Cleveland". Cleveland.com. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- "World Checkers/Draughts Federation". Wcdf.net. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "The American Checker Federation". Usacheckers.com. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Michele Borghetti si conferma Campione del Mondo!". Italian Draughts Federation. 2015-09-14. (in Italian)
- "Mondiale di Dama a Roma, 9-15 luglio: sfida tra due italiani". Italian Draughts Federation. (in Italian)
- Trionfo Azzurro ai Campionati Europei di dama inglese 3move Italian Draughts Federation. (in Italian)
|This board game-related article or section is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|