2 September 1989 |
Mandaluyong City, Philippines
|Occupation||Auto racing driver|
Michele Marie Bumgarner (born September 2, 1989 in Mandaluyong City) is a Filipina racing driver. She was born to an American father and a Filipina mother. She made her debut into single seater racing with the National Karting Series in the Philippines in 1999 at the age of 10. She has participated in the Asia-Pacific Karting Championships Japan, Shell Super Karting Series, Asian Karting Open Championship (AKOC), and the Italian Masters Series.
On September 19, 2008, she became the first female champion of the Rock Island Grand Prix in Rock Island, Illinois, the world’s largest street karting race. The 7th foreign-born winner in its 14-year history, Michele steered the Margay Team to a 1-2-3-4 finish with 11 minutes and 24.144 seconds. She said: “This will stick with me my whole career. Everyone goes on about how great this race is and it’s special that this is my first time here and my first win here. I hope to come back.” On September 6, 2009 she successfully defended that title in a three kart battle.
In November 2008 it was announced that Bumgarner had signed a driver development contract to race in the Firestone Indy Lights series with Walker Racing. She participated in a test with Guthrie Racing However, Walker Racing entered the 2009 Indy Lights season fielding a car for Stefan Wilson rather than Bumgarner and as of 2011 she has not driven in an Indy Lights race and she has not participated in a professional auto race since 2008.
In September 2013, Michele announced that she will join the Mazda Road to Indy program with World Speed Motorsports, to which she made two starts in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires at Houston, claiming a top-10 finish and earning the Quarter Master Hard Charger Award for most positions gained in the race.
In 2014, Michelle joined the Pro Mazda Championship full-time, racing for World Speed Motorsports Team.
- 2013 Quarter Master Hard Charger Award for most positions gained in the race, during the Pro Mazda Championship round in Houston
- 2009 Won TaG Senior Class at Rock Island Grand Prix, for second straight year and finished third in WKA TaG Championship
- 2008 Won TaG Senior Class at Rock Island Grand Prix, the first female winner
- Selected for 2005 BMW Scholarship Award by Formula BMW Racing School in Bahrain
- 2004 Overall Champion Asian Karting Zone Championship for Open Class
- 2004 Runner-Up for Super Series Karting Philippines Open Class
- 2004 Recipient of GOLDEN WHEEL for Motorsports Driver of the Year
- 2004 Runner-Up for Formula Toyota Championships BRC
- 2004 Automobile Association of the Philippines Motorsports Award
- 2004 Philippines Sportwriters' Association Citation for Karting
- 2003 Karter of the Year, Philippines
- 2003 Motorsports Driver of the Year, Philippines
- 2003 Asian Intercontinental Junior Karting Champion
Pro Mazda Championship
|2014||World Speed Motorsports||STP
- Laudato, Sheryl G. Celebrate girl power and beautiful sporting queens, Manila Bulletin, November 27, 2005, Retrieved 2011-08-04
- Michele Bumgarner - Career Detail, Driver Database, Retrieved 2011-08-04
- Filipina first woman champ of Rock Island GP, Enquirer Sports, September 20, 2008, Retrieved 2011-08-04
- Michelle Bumgarner inks 5-year deal to race in Indianapolis, GMA News, November 17, 2008, Retrieved 2011-08-04
- Stenzel, Scott. Michele Bumgarner - Indy Lights Test - Indycar Driver (video), Retrieved 2011-08-04