7 September 1945 |
|Awards||Marcel Benoist Prize (2011)
Fellow of the Royal Society
Sidney Fernbach Award
Dreyfus Prize in the Chemical Sciences
Michele Parrinello (born 7 September 1945, Messina) is an Italian physicist particularly known for his work in molecular dynamics (the computer simulation of physical movements of atoms and molecules). Parrinello and Roberto Car were awarded the Dirac Medal and the Sidney Fernbach Award in 2009 for their continuing development of the Car-Parrinello method, first proposed in their seminal 1985 paper, "Unified Approach for Molecular Dynamics and Density-Functional Theory".
Life and career
Michele Parinello was born in Messina (Sicily) and received his Laurea in physics from the University of Bologna in 1968. After working at the International School for Advanced Studies in Trieste, the IBM research laboratory in Zurich, and the Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research in Stuttgart, he was appointed Professor of Computational Science at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich in 2001, a position he also holds at the Università della Svizzera italiana in Lugano. In 2004 he was elected to Great Britain's Royal Society. In 2011 he was awarded the Marcel Benoist Prize. He currently has an h-index of 122, which is one of the highest among all scientists.
Selected notable contributions
- Car-Parrinello Dynamics (the original paper on this is now the 5th most highly cited paper in Physical Review Letters)
- Parrinello-Rahman Algorithm
- IEEE Computer Society (15 October 2009). "Car and Parrinello Named 2009 Fernbach Winners"
- RSI (20 September 2011). Ihttp://www5.rsi.ch/home/networks/retedue/approfondimento/giardinodialbert/2011/12/04/michele-parrinello.html (in Italian)
- Further reading
- Andreoni, W. ; Marx, D.; Sprik, M. (2005). "Editorial: a tribute to Michele Parrinello: from physics via chemistry to biology", ChemPhysChem, Volume 6, Issue 9 (Special Issue: Parrinello Festschrift)
- Car, R. and Parrinello, M. (1985). "Unified Approach for Molecular Dynamics and Density-Functional Theory" Physical Review Letters, Vol. 55, Issue 22
- Kühne, T. D.; Krack, M.; Mohamed, F. R. and Parrinello, M. (2007). "Efficient and Accurate Car-Parrinello-like Approach to Born-Oppenheimer Molecular Dynamics" Physical Review Letters, Vol. 98, 066401
- External links
- Parrinello Research Group at ETH Zürich.
|This article about an Italian physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|