|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Education||Cal State Fullerton|
|Occupation||News anchor, entrepreneur, author, public speaker|
|Employer||CON 1989 - 1991|
KTLA 1991 - 1998
KNBC 1998 - 2005
|Awards||5 Emmy Awards, 2 Golden Mikes, 1 LA Press Club Award|
Michele Ruiz (born January 21, 1965), is an entrepreneur, award-winning broadcast journalist, author, public speaker and former Los Angeles news anchor for KNBC-TV. She is President and CEO of Ruiz Strategies, a communications firm that develops and executes content marketing strategies for businesses, government entities and executives. She is also the founder and former President/CEO of SaberHacer.com, a bilingual educational broadband website for US Hispanics. She maintains a self-titled blog on the site MicheleRuiz.com.
Ruiz was born in Glendale, California on January 21, 1965. Her parents were Panamanian, and Ruiz described a difficult childhood growing up in Southern California dealing with racism, discrimination and poverty, an upbringing that she credits for making her "scrappy" and determined. Her first language was Spanish, and she didn't learn English until she went to school. She attended Cal State Fullerton while working full-time in a clerical position, and graduated in 1988 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications.
From 1991 to 1998, Ruiz worked at KTLA in Los Angeles, California as a field reporter and morning anchor for the station's KTLA Morning News. She also co-hosted a weekly public affairs program, called "Making it! Minority Success Stories".
Ruiz has received 19 Emmy Award nominations, and is a five-time honoree, as well as a four-time Golden Mike recipient. While at KTLA, she won three Los Angeles-area Emmys and two Golden Mikes. In 2003, she won two more Emmys for her work on NBC4 news specials “Journey to Africa” and “LA Riots: Rubble to Rebirth.” She has received numerous honors, including two Golden Mikes, for her work on NBC4’s “Beating the Odds” series, and in 2002 was presented the LA Press Club Award for a series on autism.
Michele Ruiz ~ My Life as a Latina Entrepreneur
Ruiz launched the website MicheleRuiz.com and started her personal brand, entitled "Michele Ruiz ~ My Life as a Latina Entrepreneur". In her self-titled blog, she publishes stories of her personal and professional life.
In 2011, Ruiz started Ruiz Strategies, a strategic communications and content marketing services company that uses social media, new media, traditional media and virtual technologies to help companies and individuals promote themselves.
In January 2016, Ruiz published her first book, a guide to legal marketing and advertising entitled Content Marketing For Lawyers.
Ruiz has served on the Board of Directors for the non-profit agency Para Los Niños for 13 years. She has also served on the Cal State Fullerton College of Communications' Dean's Advisory Board.
Awards and recognition
Ruiz was given two commendations for "Outstanding Citizenship for Civic Contributions" and "Dedication to the Community" by the City of Los Angeles. She was named "Latina of the Year" and "Comision Femenil De Los Angeles". She also received the Certificate of Congressional Commendation from the U.S. House of Representatives, a commendation letter from the United States Senate, and a Certificate of Recognition from the California State Senate.
Ruiz was honored in 2006 with Cal State Fullerton's Vision & Visionaries award. The Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest honor that the university bestows on those who have gotten their degrees from this institution. It has been presented to titans in business, science, education, communications and the arts, and brings to the forefront, the vision, achievements and philanthropic efforts of Cal State Fullerton's graduates.
Ruiz lives in Los Angeles.
- "Empowering Yourself Through Your Passion in Business". womenofstandard.com. 2014-03-03. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "SaberHacer.com selected as Latino Business Awards finalist by the Los Angeles Business Journal". hispanicprblog.com. 2010-02-02. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "Inspiring Latina of the Week: Entrepreneur Michele Ruiz". latina.com. 2013-11-05. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "State Senator, Former News Anchor to Keynote University's 46th Annual Commencement". calstate.fullerton.edu. 2005-04-28. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- Zoeller, Nicole, "In The Know", Inside Latina Entertainment and Media (Summer 2008): 41
- "Critic's Notebook; TV News in the Schools: Which Channel, if Any?". NYTimes.com. 1990-03-14. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "A Showcase for Minorities 'Making It'". latimes.com. 1996-02-19. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "Exec Shuffle". Variety.com. 1998-05-01. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "News Shift Results in Shake-Up at KNBC". latimes.com. 2001-02-09. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "KCAL Takes Lion's Share of Local Emmy Awards : Television: But KTTV gets the coveted prize for best hourlong newscast. KCET's 'Life & Times' and KABC's 'City View' are the most-honored series, Governors Award is given to KTLA newsman Larry McCormick". latimes.com. 1994-06-06. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Lion's Share of L.A. Emmy Nods to KCAL". latimes.com. 1994-04-29. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "KCBS tops local Emmy noms". variety.com. 1997-04-25. Archived from the original on 2009-08-25. Retrieved 2016-03-28.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Ruiz Strategies The Latest Online Venture For Serial Entrepreneur". racingtowarddiversity.com. 2013-04-01. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "In the new book "Content Marketing For Lawyers" Communication Strategist Michele Ruiz Reveals How Attorneys Can Use Powerful Social Media Strategies to Attract More Clients and Become Legal Thought Leaders". kctv5.com. 2016-01-21. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "USHCC National Convention - Michele Ruiz". ushccconvention.com. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- Cal State Fullerton >> Michele Ruiz. URL accessed on April 7, 2010.
- "Past recipients - 2003". fullerton.edu. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "About Vision & Visionaries". fullerton.edu. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "Inspiring Latina of the Week: Entrepreneur Michele Ruiz". Talari.com. 2013-11-05. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- "2013 "Champions of Diversity" Announced". diversitybusiness.com. 2013-02-06. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- "IMDB - Rising Sun". imdb.com. Retrieved 2016-03-28.