May 12, 1947 |
|Occupation||Film director, actress, screenwriter|
Micheline Lanctôt (born May 12, 1947) is a Canadian actress, film director, screenwriter, and musician.
Lanctôt was born in Frelighsburg, Quebec. Her post-secondary education was in music, fine arts and theatre at Collège Jésus-Marie in Outremont, and in art history (at the Université de Montréal and the École des Beaux-Arts de Montréal) before switching to film animation, which she did originally at the National Film Board of Canada (NFB) and then at Gerald Potterton's studios, Potterton Productions, where she remained for four years.
Lanctôt began her acting career in 1972, winning an Etrog (now called a Genie) award for best female performance for her starring role in Gilles Carle's La vraie nature de Bernadette. Since then, she has appeared in a wide variety of film and television roles, such as Les Corps Célestes (again by Carle); Ted Kotcheff's award-winning The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, Blood Relatives (by Claude Chabrol) and Guy Fournier's Radio-Canada TV series, Jamais deux sans toi.
She has directed for the theatre also, directing Oleanna by David Mamet for the Théâtre de Quat'Sous in Montreal in 1994, and in 1999, Bousille et les justes by Gratien Gélinas for the Théâtre du Rideau Vert.
She began her live-action film-directing career with L'Homme à tout faire (1980), nominated for best direction and for best film at the Canadian Film Awards in 1981. This success was followed by Sonatine (1984), which launched the career of Pascale Bussières and won both the Genie for best direction at the Canadian Film Awards and the Silver Lion at the Venice Film Festival.
Awards and recognition
- Winner of an "Etrog" (now known as Genie), best performance by a lead actress (1972)
- Winner of the Genie, best achievement in direction, for Sonatine (1984)
- Winner of the Silver Lion, Venice Film Festival for best first work, Sonatine (1984)
- Recipient of the Governor General's Performing Arts Award for Lifetime Artistic Achievement (2003)
As an actor
As a director
- Eve (2003)
- The Stones (2004)
- Les Guerriers (2004)
As a writer
- L'Homme à tout faire (1980) (English title: The Handyman)
- Sonatine (1984)
- Deux actrices (1993) (English title: Two Can Play)
- La Vie d'un héros (1994) (English title: A Hero's Life
- Le Piège d'Issoudun (2003) (English title: Juniper Tree)
- Les Guerriers (2004)