Gomez at the 2015 San Diego Comic-Con International.
21 April 1966 |
Michelle Gomez (born 21 April 1966) is a Scottish actress. She is best known for her comedy roles in Green Wing, The Book Group and Bad Education, and for playing Missy, a female incarnation of the Master, in the British television sci-fi series Doctor Who.
Gomez was born in Glasgow. Her father, originally from Montserrat, was a photographer, while her mother ran a modelling agency. From the moment she saw a production of Kiss Me, Kate at the age of seven, Gomez wanted to be an actress, which her parents encouraged. She attended Shawlands Academy from 1978 to 1983 and trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
Gomez's first major role was in The Acid House, based on three Irvine Welsh short stories. She went on to star in the cult Channel 4 comedy drama The Book Group before landing her role as staff liaison officer Sue White in the Channel 4 comedy Green Wing. She played Michelle in Carrie and Barry for the BBC (which coincidentally debuted the same night as Green Wing), and starred as PC Sally Bobbins in the BBC 2 sitcom Feel the Force. She appeared in Gunslinger's Revenge.
In 2005, Gomez appeared in the film Chromophobia. In 2006, she starred in the film The Good Housekeeping Guide. In 2007 she starred in a drama by Irvine Welsh and Dean Cavanagh called Wedding Belles, and starred in Boeing-Boeing at the Comedy Theatre in London. Also in 2007, she guest-starred in the Doctor Who audio play Valhalla. In 2008 she joined the Royal Shakespeare Company, and performed as Kate in The Taming of the Shrew at the Courtyard Theatre and the Novello Theatre.
In 2012, Gomez starred in the British film, The Wedding Video, portraying the psychologically unstable wedding planner. In the same year, she appeared in the British comedy series Bad Education, portraying the deputy-head Isobel Pickwell, which returned for a second series in 2013. In 2014, she began producing comedy sketches as "Heather" an agony aunt for YouTube channel Wildseed Studios.
She guest starred in the eighth series of Doctor Who, as a character initially called the "Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere". Despite initial belief she would only be appearing in the series finale, Gomez made surprise cameo appearances in some episodes in the eighth series, and appeared in the finale two-parter. She portrayed Missy, who was revealed to be a new female incarnation of the Doctor's longstanding nemesis, the Master, in the penultimate episode "Dark Water". Gomez returned in the 2-part opening story of Series 9, "The Magician's Apprentice" / "The Witch's Familiar" broadcast in September 2015.
|1989||First and Last||Nurse||Television film|
|1998||The Acid House||Catriona||A Soft Touch segment|
|1998||Gunslinger's Revenge||Leather girl|
|1999||New World Disorder||Annika "Amethyst" Rains|
|1999||Ticks||Stressed girl on phone||Short film|
|2000||Offending Angels||Baggy's ex-girlfriend|
|2003||Ready When You Are, Mr. McGill||Judy||Television film|
|2005||Chromophobia||Bushey||Incorrectly credited as Michele Gormez|
|2005||Meat the Campbells||Mrs. Campbell||Short film|
|2006||The Good Housekeeping Guide||Jenny||Television film|
|2006||Secret Policeman's Ball sketch||Sue White||Television film; Green Wing special|
|2007||Wedding Belles||Amanda||Television film|
|2012||The Wedding Video||The Wedding Planner|
|1992||Taggart||Hairdresser||Episode: "Nest of Vipers"|
|1996||The Bill||Penny Grice||Episode: "Toe the Line"|
|1998||Carrie Bennett||Episode: "Dog Eat Dog"|
|1999||Taggart||Harriet Bailes||Episode: "Bloodlines"|
|1999||Highlander: The Raven||Talia Bauer||Episode: "Inferno"|
|2001||Rebus||Caro Rattray||Episode: "Mortal Causes"|
|2002||My Family||Sharon||Episode: "The Second Greatest Story Ever Told"|
|2002–2003||The Book Group||Janice McCann||Main cast|
|2003||Manchild||Kitty||Series 2, episode 2|
|2005||Murder in Suburbia||Anita Green||Episode: "Estate Agents"|
|2004–2005||Carrie and Barry||Michelle||Main cast|
|2004–2006||Green Wing||Sue White||Main cast|
|2006||Feel the Force||Sally Bobbins||Lead role|
|2007||Oliver Twist||Mrs. Sowerberry||Miniseries|
|2012–2013||Bad Education||Isobel Pickwell||11 episodes|
|2013||Playhouse Presents||Mary, Queen of Scots||Psychobitches sketch (Episode: "Psychobitches Part Four")|
|2014, 2015||Doctor Who||Missy||Recurring, 9 episodes to date (2 uncredited)|
|2015||The Brink||Vanessa||Recurring, 3 episodes|
|2015||Gotham||The Lady||Guest, Episode: "A Bitter Pill to Swallow"|
|2015||Lego Dimensions||Missy (voice)|
- Leask, Anjie (19 April 2002). "When I said the C word on stage I felt like a rock star". The Mirror (London, England) (MGN LTD). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Fulton, Rick (3 September 2004). "Our Secret Star: Book Group Michelle is going to be huge thanks to TWO shows". Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- English, Paul (4 June 2005). "Green and bear it". Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland) (Scottish Daily Record & Sunday). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Allan, Vicky (19 March 2006). "Ready, steady, Gomez. A fine comedic actress, she scored a direct hit". Sunday Herald, The. Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Rampton, James (5 May 2006). "Michelle Gomez is a force to be reckoned with". The Scotsman. Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Cadwalladr, Carole (25 March 2007). "Funny girl". The Observer (Guardian News and Media Limited). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Fisher, Mark (20 April 2008). "Curtain call for a shrew operator – Michelle Gomez interview". The Scotsman. Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Brown, Helen (30 May 2008). "Michelle Gomez: 'I'm shameless, Desperate!'". Daily Telegraph (Telegraph Media Group Limited). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Bearn, Emily (12 January 2009). "Funny Face: Michelle Gomez". Evening Standard Magazine (Associated Newspapers). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- "Michelle Gomez". biogs.com. Danny Rosenbaum. Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- "Michelle Gomez". TVSA. Retrieved 15 August 2009.
- Burnside, Anna (29 August 2004). "The new face of Friday night". The Sunday Times (News International Limited). Retrieved 14 July 2009.
- "Scottish Woman of the Year Awards". Scottish Woman. 2009. Retrieved 15 August 2009.[dead link]
- "Bad Education, Series 1 – Miss Pickwell". BBC Three. 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "Wildseed Studios presents: Funny Seeds". YouTube. 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Jones, Paul (30 June 2014). "Doctor Who cast: Green Wing and Bad Education Michelle Gomez joins Peter Capaldi as Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere". Radio Times. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Jonathan Holmes. "Doctor Who: Missy is the Master". RadioTimes. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "Doctor Who series 9: opening episode titles revealed, Michelle Gomez and Jemma Redgrave to return". Radio Times. 30 June 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Wright, Matthew (6 May 2000). "Miles up the aisle; This Life Jack to tie knot". The Mirror (London, England) (MGN LTD). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- "Jack Davenport: Interview Radio Times". Jack Davenport – Unofficial Website. 12 April 2010. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Corley, Jerry (28 January 2011). How Can I Be A Comedian: Michelle Gomez at The Comedy Store. YouTube. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Michelle Gomez|