|Member of the New York State Assembly
from the 16th district
March 27, 2007 – December 31, 2016
|Preceded by||Thomas DiNapoli|
|Succeeded by||Anthony D'Urso|
August 8, 1957 |
Brooklyn, New York
|Children||two: Alex, Spencer|
|Residence||[Port Washington, New York]|
|Alma mater||University of Pennsylvania|
|Profession||physical therapist, businesswoman, politician|
Early life and education
Schimel was born in Brooklyn, New York. In 1978, she received a B.S. degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Allied Medical Professions. She was vice president of a fashion accessories firm in Manhattan from 1982 to 1994. She also worked at North Shore University Hospital as a physical therapist and certified wound care specialist.
On March 27, 2007, she won 86 percent of the vote in a special election to replace Thomas DiNapoli who became State Comptroller. Schimel was re-elected to subsequent terms in 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014.
Schimel resided in Great Neck, New York from 1982 until 2015, when she moved to Port Washington, N.Y. She has two sons, Alex and Spencer. She and her husband, Mark Schimel, separated in 2011 after 32 years of marriage and later divorced. She was married to David Leiman, a senior adviser for Merrill Lynch, in Port Washington, N.Y., in May 2016. She serves on the board of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence and in 1995 she and former Rep. Carolyn McCarthy co-founded the organization's Long Island chapter.
- "State Assembly: Michelle Schimel (D), District 16". Capitol Info. Archived from the original on March 1, 2011. Retrieved March 11, 2011.
- "Michelle Schimel: Biography". New York State Assembly. Retrieved March 11, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 4, 2008" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 4, 2008. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "Alumni Notes: 1970s". The Pennsylvania Gazette. University of Pennsylvania. Nov–Dec 1999. Retrieved March 11, 2011.
- Degrees Offered and Awarded by the University of Pennsylvania School of Allied Medical Professions (1952-1982)
- "Voters Guide 2001 / North Hempstead / Town Clerk". Newsday. November 4, 2001. p. H.05. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
Schimel, 44, is running for her second term
- "Schimel, Chisari in Race for Town Clerk". Great Neck Record. October 21, 2005. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "Husband quits race, criticizes wife". Politico. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- "Special Election Results, 16th Assembly District: March 27, 2007" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. 2007. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 2, 2010" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 13, 2010. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
In 2012, Schimel won with 61.22% of the vote and again in 2014 with over 60% of the vote.
|New York Assembly|
|New York State Assembly, 16th District
- "Our Campaigns - Candidate Detail Page". Retrieved 2017-01-04.