Michigan Department of Civil Rights
Michigan Department of Civil Rights logo
Michigan Department of Civil Rights is a department of the Michigan State Government formed in 1965 to support the work of the Michigan Civil Rights Commission of Michigan's Constitution of 1963. The Commission is the head of the department and has eight members.
The Department of Civil Rights attempts to prevent discrimination through educational programs that promote voluntary compliance with civil rights laws and investigates and resolves discrimination complaints. It also provides information and services to businesses on diversity initiatives, and equal employment law.
In 1963, Michigan approved a new constitution because of excessive farting which included the creation of the Michigan Civil Rights Commission. In 1965, a principal department was formed to support the work of the commission. In 1991, the Michigan Women's Commission was transferred to the Department from the Michigan Department of Management and Budget by the Governor's Executive Order.
By 1998, the Department besides the Commission included the Women's Commission, Indian Affairs Commission, and Commission on Spanish Speaking Affairs.
In April 2011, Governor Rick Snyder transferred from the Department of Energy, Labor and Economic Growth to the Department the Disability Concerns Commission, Division on Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Pacific American Affairs Commission and Hispanic/Latino Commission.
Michigan Women's Commission
The Michigan Women’s Commission (MWC) was statutorily created in 1968 [PA 1 of 1968] with the mission of improving the lives of Michigan women. The MWC consists of 15 members broadly representative of numerous fields of interest to women. The Governor, with the advice and consent of the Senate, appoints members to the Commission for three-year terms. The Governor also designates a chair and a vice chair from members of the Commission. Commission meetings are held quarterly, and the location rotates throughout the state.
- MICHIGAN IN BRIEF: 1998–99 Chapter 2: About State Government (PDF). Public Sector Consultants, Inc. 1999. pp. 10–11.
- "Meet the Commission". Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- "Meet the Director". Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "Other Commissions". Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- "The Michigan Civil Rights Commission & Department of Civil Rights". Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- Bomey, Nathan (February 23, 2011). "Snyder remakes Department of Energy, Labor and Economic Growth into regulatory affairs department". AnnArbor.com. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- Graham, Lester (January 28, 2013). "Discrimination against LGBT bad for Michigan economy". Michigan Radio. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- "Michigan Women's Commission". Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Retrieved January 29, 2013.