Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) is a principal department of state of Michigan, headquartered in Lansing, that provides public assistance, child and family welfare services, and oversees health policy and management.
Additionally, the MDHHS oversees Michigan's child and adult protective services, foster care, adoptions, juvenile justice, domestic violence, and child support programs. The MDHHS also licenses adult foster care, child day care and child welfare facilities.
In April 2015, the Department of Human Services (DHS) was merged with the Department of Community Health (DCH) to create the Department of Health and Human Services.
Department of Human Services
The Department of Human Services was created in 1965 as a principal department with the name of "Department of Social Services". Renamed in 1995 to "Family Independence Agency", the department was once again renamed in 2004 to indicate its status as a principal department as the "Department of Human Services".
100 employees were laid off due to budget cuts in January 2015.
Department of Community Health
The Department of Community Health was created in 1996 through an executive order merging Department of Public Health (as Community Public Health Agency), Department of Mental Health, Medical Services Administration from the Department of Social Services, responsibility for Liquor Control Commission, Licensing, Monitoring and Accreditation and Division of Occupational Health from Department of Commerce, Food Service Sanitation from the Department of Agriculture and many functions of Department of Social Services.
The Department has several agencies and programs operating under its management.
Bureau of Juvenile Justice
The Bureau of Juvenile Justice is responsible for the operation of juvenile correctional facilities.
- "EXECUTIVE ORDER No. 1996 - 1". Governor's Executive Orders. State of Michigan. 1996. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- Gray, Kathleen (14 April 2015). "Snyder lauds new Department of Health, Human Services". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Ahmed named human services director | Crain's Detroit Business". Crainsdetroit.com. 2007-08-13. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- Section 450 of the Executive Organization Act of 1965, 1965 PA 380, MCL 16.550
- "EXECUTIVE ORDER No.2004 - 38". Michigan.gov. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "Michigan Department of Human Services issuing layoffs notices to 100 employees this week". Fox Business. AP. January 14, 2015. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- "Juvenile Justice." Michigan Department of Human Services. Retrieved on July 25, 2010.
- "Bay Pines Center." Michigan Department of Human Services. Retrieved on July 25, 2010.
- "Shawono Center." Michigan Department of Human Services. Retrieved on July 25, 2010.
- "W.J. Maxey Boys Training School." Michigan Department of Human Services. Retrieved on July 25, 2010.
- "Maxey school for boys closes in Livingston County". Detroit Free Press. 2015-10-07. Retrieved 2015-10-15.