This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
June 9, 1945|
Sharon, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Associated acts||Gary Burton|
An Elvis fan, Goodrick began studying guitar in his pre-teens and was performing professionally a few years later. When he was sixteen, he became interested in jazz at a Stan Kenton Band Camp. He attended the Berklee College of Music from 1963–1967. He taught at Berklee, then spent a few years touring with Gary Burton. After returning to Boston, he settled into a career largely as an educator.
Goodrick has had many notable students, including Bill Frisell, Pat Metheny, Julian Lage, John Scofield, Lage Lund, Mike Stern, Avner Strauss, and Rale Micic. His first book, The Advancing Guitarist, is an instruction manual for guitarists of all styles. He has also written a series of books addressing the intricacies of harmonic voice leading.
Goodrick worked with Charlie Haden's Liberation Music Orchestra during the 1980s and early 1990s, with Jack DeJohnette in the late 1980s, and with Steve Swallow in the late 1990s. He performed in a duo with Pat Metheny at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 2005 and with Wolfgang Muthspiel at the Jazz Standard in 2008.
With Gary Burton
- The New Quartet (ECM, 1973)
- Ring (ECM, 1974)
- Seven Songs for Quartet and Chamber Orchestra (ECM, 1974)
- Dreams So Real (ECM, 1975)
- The Ballad of the Fallen (ECM, 1982)
- The Montreal Tapes: Liberation Music Orchestra (Verve, 1989 )
- Dream Keeper (DIW, 1990)
With Jerry Bergonzi
- Con Brio (Plug, 1983)
- The Ray (Not Fat, 1984)
- Sunscreams (RAM, 1994)
- On Again (RAM, 1996)
With Jimmy Mosher
- Satyric Horn (ITI, 1984)
With Jack DeJohnette
With Gary Thomas
With Claudio Fasoli
- Bodies (Innowo, 1990)
- Cities (RAM, 1993)
- Trois Trios (Splasc(h), 1993–94)
- Ten Tributes (RAM, 1995)
With Steve Swallow
With Wolfgang Muthspiel
- In the Same Breath (CMP, 1996)
- Live at the Jazz Standard (Material, 2010)
With Dan Wall
- On the Inside Looking In (Double-Time, 2000)
With Laszlo Gardony
- Breakout (Avenue Jazz/Rhino/BMG, 1994)
- Goodrick, Mick (1987). The Advancing Guitarist: Applying guitar concepts and techniques. Hal Leonard Corp. ISBN 0881885894.
- Goodrick, Mick (2003). Mr. Goodchord's Almanac of Guitar Voice-leading: Name that chord. 1. Liquid Harmony Books. ISBN 0971185808.
- Goodrick, Mick; Miller, Tim (2012). Creative Chordal Harmony for Guitar: Using generic modality compression. Berklee Press. ISBN 0876391285.