||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
June 9, 1945 |
Sharon, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Associated acts||Gary Burton|
Mick Goodrick (born June 9, 1945 in Sharon, Pennsylvania) is an American jazz guitarist and educator most noteworthy for his work with vibraphonist Gary Burton's band from 1973–1976, where for part of that time he was playing alongside guitarist Pat Metheny.
Goodrick is a 1967 graduate of Berklee College of Music, where he also was an educator for a few years prior to joining Gary Burton. He began studying guitar when he was 11, being inspired to play jazz while attending Stan Kenton summer camps. After working with vibraphonist Gary Burton, he began teaching at New England Conservatory and at Berklee College of Music where he still works today. His most recent recordings have been for Greg Hopkins, Laszlo Gardony, Gary Chaffee and Steve Swallow.
Over the course of his career, Goodrick has had many notable students, including Julian Lage, Lage Lund, Pat Metheny, Mike Stern, John Scofield, Avner Strauss, Rale Micic, and Bill Frisell. His first book, The Advancing Guitarist, is an instruction manual for guitarists of all styles. Goodrick has also written a series of books addressing the intricacies of harmonic voice-leading.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2011)|
- In Pas(s)ing (ECM, 1978)
- Biorhythms (CMP, 1990)
- Sunscreams (RAM, 1994)
- Cities (RAM, 1993)
With Gary Burton
- The Ballad of the Fallen (ECM, 1982)
- Dream Keeper (DIW, 1990)
- The Montreal Tapes: Liberation Music Orchestra (Verve, 1989 )
With Jerry Bergonzi
With Jack DeJohnette
- Audio-Visualscapes (Impulse, 1988)
With Claudio Fasoli
With Jimmy Mosher
- Satyric Horn (ITI 1984)
With Wolfgang Muthspiel
With Steve Swallow
With Gary Thomas
- By Any Means Necessary (JMT, 1989)
With Dan Wall
- On the Inside Looking In (Double-Time, 2000)
- Goodrick, Mick (1987). The Advancing Guitarist: Applying guitar concepts and techniques. Hal Leonard Corp. ISBN 0881885894.
- Goodrick, Mick (2003). Mr. Goodchord's Almanac of Guitar Voice-leading: Name that chord. 1. Liquid Harmony Books. ISBN 0971185808.
- Goodrick, Mick; Miller, Tim (2012). Creative Chordal Harmony for Guitar: Using generic modality compression. Berklee Press. ISBN 0876391285.
|This article about an American jazz guitarist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|