||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
June 9, 1945 |
Mick Goodrick (b. Sharon, PA, June 9, 1945) is an American post bop jazz guitarist and educator most noteworthy for his work with vibraphonist Gary Burton's band from 1973 to 1976, where for part of that time he was playing alongside guitarist Pat Metheny. Metheny has since cited Goodrick as an influence.
Goodrick is a 1967 graduate of Berklee College of Music, where he also was an educator for a few years prior to joining Gary Burton. He began studying guitar when he was 11, being inspired to play jazz while attending Stan Kenton summer camps. After working with vibraphonist Gary Burton, he began teaching at New England Conservatory and at Berklee College of Music where he still works today. His most recent recordings have been for Greg Hopkins, Laszlo Gardony, Gary Chaffee and Steve Swallow.
Over the course of his career, Goodrick has had many notable students Julian Lage, Lage Lund, Pat Metheny, Mike Stern, John Scofield, Avner Strauss, Rale Micic and Bill Frisell. His first book, The Advancing Guitarist, is an instruction manual for guitarists of all styles. Goodrick has also written a series of books addressing the intricacies of harmonic voice-leading.
|This section requires expansion. (September 2011)|
- In Pas(s)ing (ECM, 1978)
- Biorhythms (CMP, 1990)
- Sunscreams (RAM, 1994)
- Cities (RAM, 1993)
With Gary Burton
- The Ballad of the Fallen (ECM, 1982)
- Dream Keeper (DIW, 1990)
- The Montreal Tapes: Liberation Music Orchestra (Verve, 1989 )
With Jerry Bergonzi
- On Again (RAM Records, 1996)
- Sunscreams (RAM Records, 1994)
- The Ray (Not Fat Records, 1984)
- Con Brio (Plug Records, 1983)
With Jack DeJohnette
- Audio-Visualscapes (Impulse, 1988)
With Jimmy Mosher
- Satyric Horn (ITI 1984)
With Wolfgang Muthspiel
With Dan Wall
- On the Inside Looking In (Double-Time Records, 2000)
With Gary Thomas
- By Any Means Necessary (JMT, 1989)
- Goodrick, Mick (1987). The Advancing Guitarist: Applying guitar concepts and techniques. Hal Leonard Corp. ISBN 0881885894.
- Goodrick, Mick (2003). Mr. Goodchord's Almanac of Guitar Voice-leading: Name that chord 1. Liquid Harmony Books. ISBN 0971185808.
- Goodrick, Mick; Miller, Tim (2012). Creative Chordal Harmony for Guitar: Using generic modality compression. Berklee Press. ISBN 0876391285.
|This article about an American jazz guitarist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|