Mick Quinn performing with the DB Band in Montpellier, 2010.
|Birth name||Michael Quinn|
|Also known as||Biff Hymenn, Barry McQueen|
17 December 1969 |
|Genres||Alternative rock, Britpop|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer-songwriter, producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, bass guitar, guitar, harmonica, drums, keyboards|
|Labels||Dirty Water Records|
|Associated acts||Supergrass, DB Band, Beat Seeking Missiles, Swervedriver|
Mick Quinn (born Michael Milton Quinn 17 December 1969 in Cambridge) is an English musician and singer-songwriter, best known as founding member of English rock band Supergrass. He formed the DB Band with bassist Paul Wilson, formerly of Shake Appeal in 2010 and released début EP "Stranger in the Alps" on 17 September 2011. He also is a member of 60's garage/beat band the "Beat Seeking Missiles".
Mick Quinn started playing bass at the age of 14 on an Ibanez Roadster RS-900, Phil Lynott's bass of choice. A year later, he moved onto guitar to improve his bass style and start to write songs. He played with The Asylum in 1986, a band featuring Kid Wig, guitarist with the Beat Seeking Missiles, in and around Oxford including the Port Meadow Festival.
In the late 80's he became interested in record production, renting and borrowing equipment to experiment with at home. He also travelled to Spain and France to play with local musicians before returning to England in 1992.
Mick Quinn formed Supergrass with Gaz Coombes and Danny Goffey in February 1993. In 1995 the band released I Should Coco selling over a million copies worldwide. Singles, Caught by the Fuzz and Alright confirmed the bands popularity and they went on to release five further albums, four reaching the top ten in the UK Albums Chart.
Children of the Monkey Basket, a website created by Mick under the name Big Arm Technology was awarded best Rock Website at the UK Online Music Awards in both 2000 and 2002. Other nominations in the category were Coldplay, Idlewild, Radiohead and U2.
2010–present: DB Band
In May 2010 Mick formed the DB Band with former Shake Appeal bass player Paul Wilson. The band swap instruments during gigs and perform with drummer Nick Aspey. Described as heavier and hairier than the 'Grass, they released début EP, 'Stranger in the Alps' on 17 September 2011. A full-length album is set for release in 2012.
Mick is also a founding member of garage band The Beat Seeking Missiles with former members of The Wig Outs and Thee Headcoats. Signed to Dirty Water Records, the band released their first single, "Break My Fall/Dr. Strangelove" in October 2011.
As of late 2014, Mick has been filling in live on bass for Steve George of Swervedriver. He's currently touring round the UK with them using his Gibson Thunderbird and his Ampeg SVT.
His parents were born in Australia, his father is the lipid biochemist Professor Peter Quinn, who is based at King's College London. Though born in Cambridge, Quinn spent his very early childhood living in America before relocated to Oxford, England in the 1970s.
On 21 August 2007, Quinn was hospitalized in Toulouse, France for an operation to repair two broken vertebrae and a smashed Calcaneus, sustained after falling out of a first floor window of a rented villa he was staying in with his family. He subsequently made a full recovery, returning to perform with the Diamond Hoo Ha Men in January 2008.
Quinn lives in Oxfordshire with his wife and daughter.
- "Stricken 'Grass bassist returns". The Sun. 17 January 2008.
- "DB Band Facebook Page".
- "Oxford New Age Fayre". ukrockfestivals.com. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- news "SUPERGRASS Second LP features a more mature sound" Check
|url=scheme (help). Dot Music. April 1997.
- "...Supergrass honoured...". BBC News. 24 November 2000.
- "The Strange Ones Supergrass Site". Strangeones.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-07-20.
- "Bassist Mickey Quinn explain why they parted ways with EMI". BBC 6 Music. 12 December 2008.
- "Supergrass to split after 17 years". The Guardian. 12 April 2010. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- "The DB Band website". Retrieved 2011-07-20.
- Home Page
- "Quinn breaks back". Daily Mirror. 1 September 2007.
- "Supergrass bass man breaks back while sleepwalking". Reuters. 31 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-31.
- DB Band – Current band website
- Children of the Monkey Basket – Website created by Mick Quinn
-  – Supergrass official website
- Mick Quinn at the Internet Movie Database