Mickey & Sylvia
Mickey was a music instructor and Sylvia one of his pupils. Baker was inspired to form the group by the success of Les Paul & Mary Ford. They had a Top 20 hit with "Love Is Strange" in 1956, which sold over one million copies and was awarded a gold disc by the RIAA. The duo eventually bought their own nightclub, established a publishing company, and formed their own record label. Although Mickey & Sylvia disbanded by the end of the 1950s, they continued to record together on an infrequent basis until 1965, when Mickey quit the music industry in the United States. A second studio recording of "Love Is Strange" in 1962 featured now-legendary drummer Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, who was 18, on his first paid session gig. "Love Is Strange" would be featured (in its 1956 version) in movies like Dirty Dancing, Badlands and Casino, and would be covered many times (for instance, on Paul McCartney's third post-Beatles album Wild Life (Wings album)).
After the duo split, Baker recorded a successful instrumental solo album, The Wildest Guitar. He moved to France in the 1960s, where he worked with various French musicians. Baker died at his home in Montastruc-la-Conseillère, France on November 27, 2012, at the age of 87.
|1957||"Love Is Strange"||11||1|
|"There Ought To Be a Law"||47||8|
|1960||"This Is My Baby||100||—|
|"What Would I Do"||46||—|
|"Baby You're So Fine"||52||27|
- Du Noyer, Paul (2003). The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Music (1st ed.). Fulham, London: Flame Tree Publishing. p. 181. ISBN 1-904041-96-5.
- Shaw, Arnold (1978). Honkers and Shouters. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company. pp. 460–466. ISBN 0-02-061740-2.
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 84. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
- "Jazz Articles: Mickey Baker: A Tough Customer Who Never Lost His Edge - By Tom Reney — Jazz Articles". Jazztimes.com. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- Gershuny, Diane. "Bernard Purdie: The Session Legend - DRUM! Magazine - Play Better Faster". DRUM! Magazine. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- Unterberger, Richie. "Mickey Baker biography". allmusic.com. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Unterberger, Richie. "Sylvia Robinson biography". allmusic.com. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
|This article on a United States R&B/soul music band, group, or collective is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|