Madden performing with Maroon 5 in 2007.
|Birth name||Michael Allen Madden|
May 13, 1979 |
Austin, Texas, United States
|Associated acts||Maroon 5, Kara's Flowers, Historics, Collapsing Scenery|
|Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Music Man StingRay
Epiphone EBM-4 Bass (used in the "Harder to Breathe" music video)
Life and music career
Madden was born in Austin, Texas. He began playing in junior high school at the Brentwood School in Los Angeles, playing in garages along with friends Jesse Carmichael (guitar/vocals) and Adam Levine (vocals/guitar). The bands Pearl Jam and Nirvana were among their influences. In 1994, with the addition of Ryan Dusick (drums), the band Kara's Flowers was formed.
After the break-up of Kara's Flowers, Madden attended classes at UCLA. After Madden attended college, the group reformed with guitarist James Valentine joining the line-up, and Jesse Carmichael mainly playing the keyboards, and pursued a new musical direction, changing their name to Maroon 5. Throughout their career, the band has released 5 studio albums: Songs About Jane (2002), It Won't Be Soon Before Long (2007), Hands All Over (2010), Overexposed (2012) and V (2014).
- "American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers". Ascap.com. Retrieved 2011-07-17.
- "Biography of Mickey Madden". Billboard.com. May 13, 1979. Retrieved 2011-07-17.
- Miller, Liz. "VN Chats With Maroon 5's Vegan Bassist Mickey Madden". Vegnews.com. Archived from the original on May 8, 2012. Retrieved 2011-07-17.
- Maroon 5 official website
- Mickey in Bass Player Magazine (online edition)[dead link]
- New Side Project: Collapsing Scenery with Don DeVore