in Jailhouse Rock (1957)
|Born||Joseph Michael Shaughnessy
August 5, 1920
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Died||July 23, 1985
Cape May Court House, New Jersey, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Sarah Shaughnessy (19??-1985; his death); 7 children|
Joseph Michael Shaughnessy (August 5, 1920 – July 23, 1985) was an Irish American character actor and comedian who specialized in playing lovable, but not-too-bright lugs. He was known for roles such as the tough, experienced mentor of Elvis Presley's character in Jailhouse Rock and Maxi the punch-drunk boxer in Designing Woman (1957) opposite Gregory Peck.
Shaughnessy started out as a singer, before becoming a comedian. He served in World War II and appeared in a US Army revue called "Stars and Gripes". After the war, a Columbia Pictures producer saw him performing on stage and offered him a screen test. In addition to his film career, he also worked in radio and television and had a nightclub act.
In his later years, Shaughnessy lived in Wildwood, New Jersey, and died at the age of 64 from lung cancer in nearby Cape May Court House. He was survived by his wife Sarah, four daughters and three sons.
- The Princess and the Pirate (1944) - Man who brings the beers (uncredited)
- The Marrying Kind (1952) - Pat Bundy
- Last of the Comanches (1953) - Rusty Potter
- From Here to Eternity (1953) - Sgt. Leva
- Conquest of Space (1955) - Sgt. Mahoney
- Designing Woman (1957) - Maxie Stultz
- The Burglar (1957) - Dohmer
- Slaughter on Tenth Avenue (1957) - Solly Pitts
- Until They Sail (1957) - US Marine, Store Customer
- Jailhouse Rock (1957) - Hunk Houghton
- Don't Go Near the Water (1957) - Farragut Jones
- The Sheepman (1958) - Jumbo McCall
- Gunman's Walk (1958) - Deputy Sheriff Will Motely
- A Nice Little Bank That Should Be Robbed (1958) - Harold 'Rocky' Baker
- The Hangman (1959) - Al Cruse
- Ask Any Girl (1959) - Mr. Eager - Man Smoking Cigarette (uncredited)
- Don't Give Up the Ship (1959) - Stan Wychinski
- Edge of Eternity (1959) - Scotty O'Brien
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1960) - The Duke
- College Confidential (1960) - Sam Grover
- Sex Kittens Go to College (1960) - Boomie
- North to Alaska (1960) - Peter Boggs
- Dondi (1961) - Sergeant
- The Big Bankroll (1961) - Jim Kelly
- The McGonicle (1961 TV movie) - Mac McGonicle
- Pocketful of Miracles (1961) - Junior
- How the West Was Won (1962) - Deputy Stover
- Mickey and the Contessa (1963 TV movie) - Mickey Brennan
- A Global Affair (1964) - Police Officer Dugan
- A House Is Not a Home (1964) - Police Sergeant Riordan
- Never a Dull Moment (1968) - Francis
- St. Patrick's Day TV Special (1969 TV movie)
- Vernon's Volunteers (1969 TV movie)
- The Boatniks (1970) - Charlie
- Touched (1983) - Himself
- Primal Scream (1987) - Charlie Waxman (final film role)
Partial television credits
- Maverick in "Mr. Muldoon's Partner" (1962) - Mr. Muldoon
- The Virginian in "Big Day, Great Day" (1962) - Muldoon
- Going My Way in "The Slasher" (1963) - Jim Bancroft
- Laredo in "Pride of the Rangers" (1965) - Monahan
- The Legend of Jesse James in "South Wind" (1966) - Ab Truxton
- Run for Your Life in "Rendezvous in Tokyo" (1967) - Morgan
- The Chicago Teddy Bears (1971) - three episodes as Lefty
- "Mickey Shaughnessy, Known for Comic Irish Movie, TV Roles, Dies". Los Angeles Times. July 27, 1985.
- Peter W. Kaplan (January 26, 1985). "Mickey Shaughnessy Dead; Comedian and Movie Actor". The New York Times. Retrieved December 15, 2012.