Storey with the Buffalo Bisons
|Born: March 16, 1986|
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
|August 3, 2012, for the Houston Astros|
|August 12, 2013, for the Toronto Blue Jays|
|Earned run average||4.19|
Mickey Charles Storey (born March 16, 1986) is an American former professional baseball pitcher and current manager of the Houston Astros' Triple-A affiliate, the Round Rock Express. He has pitched in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Houston Astros and Toronto Blue Jays.
Storey attended Deerfield Beach High School in Deerfield Beach, Florida, and Florida Atlantic University, where he played baseball for the Owls under head coach Kevin Cooney. He was drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the 22nd round of the 2007 MLB Draft but did not sign and was then drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 31st round of the 2008 MLB Draft.
Storey made his professional debut with the Arizona League Athletics in 2008, where he was 2–2 with a .327 ERA in 14 games. In 2009, he led all Oakland minor leaguers with 18 saves while playing across four different levels with the Class-A Kane County Cougars, Advanced-Class A Stockton Ports, Double-A Midland RockHounds and Triple-A Sacramento River Cats. In 41 combined games he was 1–1 with a 1.22 ERA. He also played with the Phoenix Desert Dogs of the Arizona Fall League after the season. He split 2010 between Midland and Sacramento and was 6–5 with a 3.64 ERA in 54 games, including his first professional start. He played for Bravos de Margarita in the Venezuelan Winter League at the conclusion of the minor league season. He pitched in 27 games for Midland at the start of the 2011 season and was 2–2 with a 4.03 ERA.
The Athletics traded Storey to the Houston Astros in June 2011 in exchange for future considerations. The Astros assigned him to the Triple-A Oklahoma City RedHawks, where he was in 23 games with a 3.99 ERA. He played in the Dominican Winter League for Estrellas de Oriente after the season and returned to Oklahoma City the following year where he pitched in 38 games (making 2 starts) and was 7–4 with a 3.05 ERA.
Storey made his MLB debut on August 3, 2012, against the Atlanta Braves. He faced two batters spaced over the 7th and 8th innings and got a groundout and a popfly. On September 12, Storey was hit in the face by a line drive off the bat of the Chicago Cubs Dave Sappelt and suffered contusions on his right hand and jaw, but only missed a few games. He was in 26 games for the Astros and was 0–1 with a 3.86 ERA.
Toronto Blue Jays
Storey was claimed off waivers by the New York Yankees on November 20, 2012, and then designated for assignment on November 30. He was re-claimed by the Astros on December 6, and then designated for assignment again on December 17 when free agent Carlos Pena was signed and then claimed on December 19 by the Toronto Blue Jays. On December 21, the Blue Jays announced that Storey had been assigned outright to their Triple-A affiliate Buffalo Bisons. He was brought up to the Blue Jays on May 9, 2013, and optioned back to the Bisons on May 20 when Anthony Gose was recalled. Storey was recalled by the Blue Jays on June 1, and optioned back to Buffalo on June 4. Storey was recalled on August 10 when Juan Pérez was placed on the disabled list. He was sent back to Buffalo on August 16. In three games for the Blue Jays he allowed three runs in four innings.
On March 10, 2014, he was optioned to the Buffalo Bisons. After a couple of stints on the disabled list, he was released on April 29 to make room for Chris Getz on Toronto's 40-man roster. He signed a minor league contract with the Blue Jays on May 23, and was assigned to the Bisons and placed on their disabled list. On August 19, Storey was released again by the Blue Jays organization.
Los Angeles Dodgers
Storey began 2015 with the Somerset Patriots of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball but then on May 23, 2015, Storey signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers and was assigned to their Double-A affiliate, the Tulsa Drillers. In four starts he was 1–1 with a 3.47 ERA. The Dodgers released him on June 16, 2015.
He became a free agent from the Somerset Patriots after the 2016 season.
Quad Cities River Bandits
In the 2018 season he was assigned as the manager of the Quad Cities River Bandits, a Class A affiliate of the Houston Astros.
Round Rock Express
On January 24, 2019 he was named Manager of the Round Rock Express, the Houston Astros Triple-A affiliate.
- "Mickey Storey statistics & history". Baseball Reference.
- "Mickey Storey minor league statistics & history". Baseball Reference.
- "Mickey Storey bio". mlb.com.
- "August 3, 2012 Houston Astros at Atlanta Braves play-by-play and box score". Baseball Reference.
- "Astros pitcher Mickey Storey takes line drive off face". September 13, 2012. Retrieved December 19, 2012.
- "Blue Jays claim RHP Storey off waivers from Astros". TSN.ca. December 19, 2012. Retrieved December 19, 2012.
- "Blue Jays claim Reliever Storey off waivers". sportsnet.ca. December 19, 2012. Archived from the original on July 29, 2014. Retrieved December 19, 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- CBC News http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/story/2012/12/21/sp-mlb-toronto-blue-jays-tony-davis.html. Missing or empty
- Lott, John (May 9, 2013). "Blue Jays option Ricky Romero to Buffalo". Retrieved May 9, 2013.[dead link]
- "Blue Jays recall Anthony Gose". The Globe and Mail. Toronto. May 20, 2013. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- Berry, Adam (June 1, 2013). "Morrow lands on DL with strained forearm". MLB.com. Archived from the original on 2013-09-08. Retrieved June 1, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Bisons add trio of arms". Buffalo Bisons. June 4, 2013. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "Blue Jays place Juan Perez on disabled list". CBC Sports. August 10, 2013. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Kennedy, Brendan (August 16, 2013). "Blue Jays notebook: Anthony Gose recalled, Josh Johnson gets good news". thestar.com. Toronto. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Blue Jays promote Getz from Bisons". Buffalo Bisons. April 29, 2014. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Wilmoth, Charlie (May 24, 2014). "Minor Moves: Zagurski, Carson, Rogers, Storey, Loe". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
- "Eastern League Transactions". MiLB.com. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- Stephen, Eric (May 25, 2015). "Dodgers sign Mickey Storey to minor league deal". SB Nation. Retrieved May 25, 2015.