||This article needs to be updated. (December 2016)|
|Industry||Telecommunications, Consumer Electronics|
|Headquarters||Gurgaon, Haryana, India|
|India, Russia, bangladesh, nepal, sri Lanka, UAE , Pakistan|
|Products||Smartphone, Air conditioner, led tv, laptop, power bank, Sound bar|
Micromax is an Indian consumer electronics company headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana. The company was established as an IT software company operating in the embedded devices domain; it later entered the mobile handset business. By 2010, it was one of the largest domestic companies making handsets in the low-cost feature phone segment in India. As of Q3 2014, Micromax was the tenth largest smartphone vendor in the world. In Q4 2015, Micromax's shipments fell by 12.1%, against growth of 15.4% for the mobile sector. Micromax's share of the smartphone market fell to 13% in Q4 2015 from 22% at its peak in 2014. The company is facing stiff competition from Chinese companies that have entered the Indian market.8 In April 2017 micromax announced its evok power & evok note which were exclusively available on flipkart. Also it owned the sub brand Yu which has launched its latest flagship Yu Black which is taking against the Chinese giant in India Xiaomi's Redmi 4. Also company had launched Yu developer program season 3 based on Android nougat 7.1.2 for its latest flagship Yu black.
Micromax was incorporated as Micromax Informatics Ltd. on 29 March 2000. It started selling mobile telephones in 2008, focusing on low pricing to compete with international brands. Micromax's co-founder Rahul Sharma once saw a public call office being powered by a truck battery because of frequent power cuts in its locale. It prompted him to launch a feature telephone with an extended battery life. Micromax launched X1i, its first telephone with a month-long battery back-up. In 2014, Micromax's sales exceeded those of Samsung to become the mobile telephone manufacturer shipping the most telephones in one quarter in India. On 24 January 2014, Micromax became the first Indian mobile company to start sales in Russia. As on 10 April 2016, Micromax announced a strategic partnership with digital payments company TranServ and global payments technology major Visa to offer the next generation of payments solutions in India.
In 2010, Micromax entered the tablet computer market with the Funbook series. Micromax launched its first eight-core flagship smartphone, Canvas Knight A350, in January 2014 in Russia. In the same year, Micromax launched the Android One smartphone, Canvas A1. In November 2014, Micromax partnered with Cyanogen Inc. to provide Cyanogen-based smartphones in India, under the brand name YU.
On 17 June 2015, Micromax launched Micromax Canvas Sliver 5, which it claimed was the slimmest telephone in the world. While most of Micromax's smartphones run the Android OS, the company also markets smartphones that operate Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.1. The company is an official Windows Phone 8.1 hardware partner; it launched two Windows Phone handsets, the Micromax Canvas Win W092 and the Micromax Canvas Win W121, in June 2014.
On 8 June 2015, Micromax announced the launch of Micromax Amaze 2. The device has a 5-inch IPS display with resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels. The smartphone is powered by a 1.4 GHz quad core Snapdragon processor with 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of internal storage.
On 27 June 2016, Micromax announced the launch of Micromax Canvas Unite 4 and Canvas Unite 4 Pro. Both these smartphones run on Indus OS 2.0. The Canvas Unite 4 is powered by a 1.0 GHz quad-core processor which is coupled with 1 GB RAM. Coming to the Micromax Canvas Unite 4 Pro, it has a 1.3 GHz quad-core processor under the hood which is paired with 2 GB RAM.
In 2016, it launched Micromax Canvas Mega 2, with 6 inch screen in budget segment of 6,500 with 4G.
In an attempt to regain market share lost to the Chinese counterparts, Micromax has announced Micromax Vdeo Series 4G Mobiles. Vdeo series is aimed at entry level smartphone buyers or the first time smartphone users, which is considered as a stronghold for Micromax in India. Micromax have also introduced these phones in Russia. So far, Micromax has already launched 3 models - Vdeo 2, Vdeo 4 and Vdeo 5. The company is expected to launch many devices under this range.
With the entry of Jio services, India have witnessed tremendous adoption to 4G enabled mobile phones. To capture these early first time 4g adapters, Micromax have started rolling out basic smartphones with 4g capabilities under Bharat series. So far, company have already launched Bharat 2 - which is considered as one of India's cheapest 4G mobile phone.
In attempt to reinvent itself and to enter the premium segment, Micromax have announced entry of Micromax Dual 5 and Micromax Dual 4 in India but both the phone have got harsh critisism from India's leading technology blog PhoneRadar. Canvas Dual 4 has been Indian adoption of ZTEZTE Mobile Blade V8 64GB variant.
Micromax started manufacturing LED televisions and tablets at its factory in Rudrapur (SIDCUL), Uttarakhand, in April 2014. As of August 2015[update], Micromax was set to start a ₹500 crore (US$78 million) manufacturing plant in Rajasthan's Alwar district after the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Rajasthan government and Bhagwati Products Ltd. The company also plans to set up a manufacturing plant in Hyderabad with an investment of about ₹400 crore (US$62 million) to ₹500 crore (US$78 million).
Actors Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna were the first celebrities to endorse Micromax Mobiles. Hugh Jackman is the brand ambassador of Micromax and appeared in a commercial in 2013 for its first flagship smartphone, the Canvas Turbo A250  and for the Canvas 4 and Canvas Sliver 5. In July 2013, actor Chitrangada Singh posed for the Canvas 4 smartphone in New Delhi. Hugh Jackman the Global Hollywood icon is now the Brand Ambassador for the Micromax Canvas range of Smartphones. A first of its kind Hollywood actor roped in by any Indian Brand in 2013.
Antitrust and patent litigation
In March 2013, Ericsson sued Micromax for infringement of Ericsson's eight patents registered in India that were essential to the 2G and 3G standards. The Delhi High Court ordered Micromax to pay royalty amounts to Ericsson based on the percentages of the net selling prices of the devices incorporating 2G and 3G standards. Around the time that Ericsson filed its patent infringement suit, Micromax filed a concurrent complaint with the Competition Commission of India (CCI), alleging that Ericsson had abused its allegedly dominant position by imposing exorbitant royalties for the use of its SEPs, thus violating the Competition Act 2002. As of February 2016, the CCI had yet to issue a final determinative ruling on the basis of Micromax's allegations.
In late 2014, New Delhi High Court ruled that sales of the OnePlus One smartphone are blocked in India because Cyanogen OS signed an exclusive deal to sell Micromax mobile telephones only in India, although One Plus One had a worldwide licensing deal. This move was seen as a monopoly to stem the sales of One Plus One and other smartphone brands. However, the High Court lifted the ban, allowing One Plus One to be sold in India as the licensing deals with Cyanogen are different for both parties.
Stealthy installation of Adware
In early 2015, a Reddit user found adware installing itself stealthily on his/her Micromax A093 Canvas Fire telephone without permission. The adware was also using excess telephone resources such as data, memory storage, and battery life. Further investigations by the XDA community found the advertisements were created by Adups, an AdPush company based in China.
- "Micromax becomes number one mobile phone company in India". Patrika Group (5 August 2014). Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- Joseph, Lison (27 June 2011) We never thought we would sell 1.8 million handsets a month: Micromax co-founder – Money – DNA. Dnaindia.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- PTI. "Micromax world's 10th largest mobile phone brand in Q1: Gartner". Livemint. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- Sharma, Himank (13 March 2016). "India's Micromax, once a rising star, struggles". Reuters. Retrieved 4 December 2016.
- "Micromax Informatics Ltd.". tofler.in.
- Limaye, Jayesh (13 February 2013). "Micromax, An Indian Mobile Phone Company That Got It Right". Techtree. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- Singh, A. "Micromax: Capitalising on innovation and pricing". Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- IQ India 2012 | Speakers and Panelists. Fonearena.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- Dharmakumar, Rohin (27 February 2010). "Micromax Mobile Advantage". forbesindia.com. forbesindia.com.
- "Mobile Phones". 8 August 2014.
- Satpathy, Sambit (23 January 2014). "Indian mobile phone brand Micromax launches in Russia, aims to release 14 smartphones in 2014". BGR. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Micromax, TranServ, Visa form strategic partnership". ABP Live. 10 April 2016. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- Khurana, Rohit (27 August 2013). "Micromax Canvas Series India- Evolution And How It Affected Indian Smartphone Market". intellectdigest.in. intellectdigest.in.
- "Cyanogen Inc Announces Micromax Partnership In India, Forming The YU smartphone brand". Micromax Co. Retrieved 14 Dec 2014.
- "Micromax's YU brand handset to be launched next month". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Micromax Launches New Phone Brand YU, Powered by Cyanogen OS". Micromax Co. (19 November 2014). Retrieved 14 Dec 2014.
- Micromax Canvas Sliver 5 Launched, world slimmest phone, News Exprezz, 19 June 2015.
- "Microsoft announces Windows Phone 8.1, Micromax new hardware partner". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Micromax introduces Canvas Win series; Launches two Windows-based phones- Canvas Win W121 and Canvas Win W092!". Microsoft News Center India. Microsoft. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Micromax Canvas Amaze 2 launched with 5-inch display at Rs 7,499". Indian Express. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "Micromax Canvas Unite 4 and Canvas Unite 4 Pro launched in India with Indus OS 2.0". MobiGyaan. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- Full Specifications of Micromax Dual 5 https://www.onlymobiles.com/mobile/micromax-canvas-dual-5-e4820/2090/gold
- Micromax Dual 4 Full Specifications https://www.onlymobiles.com/mobile/micromax-dual-4-e4816/2135/champ-gold
- This is Micromax Dual 4, the Rebranded ZTE Blade V8 Smartphone Launching Soon http://phoneradar.com/exclusive-micromax-dual-4-rebranded-zte-blade-v8-smartphone-launching-soon/
- "Micromax starts manufacturing smartphones in India". The Economic Times. 23 April 2014.
- "Micromax plant worth Rs 500 crore to come up in Rajasthan". Firstpost. 24 August 2015.
- "Micromax to Invest Up to Rs. 500 Crore on Hyderabad Plant". NDTV Gadgets. 24 August 2015.
- Bollywood Hungama. "Twinkle Khanna chosen to endorse Micromax Mobiles?". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- Hugh Jackman to be face of Micromax. The Hindu (18 October 2013). Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- "Chitrangada Singh Sizzles at Micromax Canvas 4 Launch!". Times Internet. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- J. Gregory Sidak (2015). "FRAND in India: The Delhi High Court's Emerging Jurisprudence on Royalties for Standard-Essential Patents". Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice. 10 (8): 609–618. doi:10.1093/jiplp/jpv096.
- "Micromax is highjacking my phone, installing apps and showing ads. What can I do?". Reddit. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- Diamondback (14 January 2015). "Micromax Remotely Installing Unwanted Apps on Devices". XDA-Developers. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- Prabhu, Vijay (18 January 2015). "Micromax Remotely Installing Adware on its Smartphones causing unwanted downloads and popups". India: Techworm. Retrieved 1 January 2016.