|Founded||29 March 2000|
(Co-founder & CEO)
|Revenue||₹22,368.79 crore (US$3.1 billion) (2020)|
Number of employees
Micromax Informatics is an Indian company that manufactures smartphones and consumer electronics, headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. It was established as an IT software company operating in the embedded devices domain. It later entered the mobile handset business. Micromax Informatics Limited is one of the leading consumer electronics companies in India and the 10th largest mobile phone player in the world.
By 2010, Micromax was one of the largest domestic companies making handsets in the low-cost feature phone segment in India. As of Q3 2014, Micromax is the tenth largest smartphone vendor in the world. The company is facing stiff competition from Chinese companies that are penetrating the Indian market. The company also owns YU Televentures, which sells the products under the brand name YU. It has recently launched its new mobile phone series IN.
Micromax was incorporated as Micromax Informatics Ltd. in the year 2000 by Rahul Sharma and Rohit Patel. It began selling mobile phones in 2008, focusing on democratising technology for masses to compete with international players.
The company has also introduced handsets (budget and flagship) with innovative features. For instance, Micromax's co-founder Rahul Sharma once saw a public call office being powered by a truck battery because of frequent power cuts in its locale. This prompted him to launch a feature mobile phone with a long battery life. This was the X1i phone, Micromax's first telephone with a month-long battery back-up.
In 2014, Micromax's sales in India exceeded those of Samsung. It became the mobile telephone manufacturer to ship the most telephones in one quarter in India. On 24 January 2014, Micromax became the first Indian mobile company to sell in Russia. In 2020, Micromax made a comeback in the Indian mobile industry with a new sub-brand "IN".
Micromax entered the tablet computer market with the debut of the Funbook series.
Funbook Pro (HD display, finger print sensor) with Snapdragon processor &18GB RAM, runs Android One
Canvas Knight A350 and Canvas A1
Micromax launched its first eight-core flagship smartphone, Canvas Knight A350, in March 2014 for the Russian market. In the same year on September, Micromax launched the Android One smartphone, Canvas A1.
Canvas Silver 5, Canvas Win W092 and Canvas Win W121
Micromax launched Micromax Canvas Sliver 5, which it claimed was the slimmest telephone in the world on 17 June 2015. The company is an official Windows Phone 8.1 hardware partner. In June 2014, it launched two Windows smartphones, the Micromax Canvas Win W092 and the Micromax Canvas Win W121.
Canvas Amaze 2
On 8 June 2015, Micromax announced the launch of Micromax Amaze 2. The device has a 5-inch IPS display with resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels. The smartphone is powered by a 1.4 GHz quad-core Snapdragon processor with 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of internal storage.
Canvas Unite 4 and Canvas Unite 4 Pro
A year later, Micromax announced the launch of Micromax Canvas Unite 4 and Canvas Unite 4 Pro. Both these smartphones run on Indus OS 2.0. The Canvas Unite 4 is powered by a 1.0 GHz quad-core processor with 1 GB RAM. The Micromax Canvas Unite 4 Pro had more powerful specifications, featuring a 1.3 GHz quad-core processor with 2 GB RAM.
Canvas Mega 2
In 2016, Micromax Canvas Mega 2 was launched and shipped.
Micromax has rolled out basic smartphones with 4G capabilities under the Bharat series. So far, the company has already launched Bharat 2 - which is considered as one of India's cheapest 4G mobile phones.
Dual 4 & Dual 5
Micromax has announced the entry of Micromax Dual 5 and Micromax Dual 4 in India.
Later in August 2017, Micromax launched its first bezel-less smartphone with an aspect ratio of 18:9. This device called Canvas Infinity still fell within the budget category.
Micromax Infinity N11 smartphone was launched in December 2018.
YU ACE TV
Following the latest 18:9 trend, the smartphone features a 5.4-inch HD+ Full View display with the screen resolution of 720 pixels. Powered by a 1.5 GHz quad-core MediaTek 6739 processor, the device runs on the latest Android Oreo operating system. Furthermore, backed up by 2 GB RAM + 16 GB internal storage, the handset will later be launched in 3 GB RAM + 32 GB storage variants as well.
Canvas 3 TV
The IN Series, IN Note 1 which has Helio G85 and 128GB internal storage, the IN 1B has 5000mAh & 32GB internal storage and has Helio G35 and the IN 1 has 5000mAh battery, 6/128GB Storage and has G80.
Manufacturing in India
Mobile phones, LED TVs, LED lights and Tablets. The Government would be providing land to Micromax for setting up the centre, which has a capacity to produce 10 lakh devices a month, which include mobile phones, LED TVs, LED lights and Tablets. It presently employs 700 people. The firm's first facility in Uttarakhand has a capacity to produce 16 lakh devices.
Micromax have three factories - Bhiwadi (Rajasthan), Rudrapur (Uttarakhand) and Telangana. In Bhiwadi, the SMT (surface mount technology) line is already operational and trials are running in Rudrapur. For Telangana, the machinery is under import. Altogether, Micromax will have a capacity of about 30 lakh a month for mobile phones.
Micromax started manufacturing LED televisions and tablets at its factory in Rudrapur (SIDCUL), Uttarakhand, in April 2014. As of August 2015[update], Micromax was set to start a ₹500 crore (US$70 million) manufacturing plant in Rajasthan's Alwar district after the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Government of Rajasthan and Bhagwati Products Ltd.
The first product, to be launched under a newly floated wholly owned unit, YU Televentures, is a smartphone with operating system from US-based Cyanogen Inc. through which Micromax aims to move beyond the business of mobile phone hardware that has become more or less standardised.
Projects and Partnerships
As of 10 April 2016, Micromax announced a strategic partnership with digital payments company TranServ and major global payments technology company Visa to offer the next generation of payment solutions[buzzword] in India.
Actors Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna were the first celebrities to endorse Micromax Mobiles. Hugh Jackman was the brand ambassador of Micromax and appeared in a commercial in 2013 for its first flagship smartphone, the Canvas Turbo A250, and for the Canvas 4 and Canvas Sliver 5 thereafter. In July 2013, actress Chitrangada Singh posed for the Canvas 4 smartphone in New Delhi. Vighnesh Pande endorsed Micromax Canvas Unite 4 line of smartphones in 2017.
Key awards and achievements
Micromax was recognized as an Emerging Company of the Year by V&D 100 Awards.
In 2017, Rahul Sharma was conferred the Transformational Business Leader of the Year.
In March 2013, Ericsson sued Micromax for infringement of Ericsson's eight patents registered in India that were essential to the 2G and 3G standards. The Delhi High Court ordered Micromax to pay royalty amounts to Ericsson based on the percentages of the net selling prices of the devices incorporating 2G and 3G standards. Around the time that Ericsson filed its patent infringement suit, Micromax filed a concurrent complaint with the Competition Commission of India (CCI), alleging that Ericsson had abused its allegedly dominant position by imposing exorbitant royalties for the use of its SEPs, thus violating the Competition Act 2002. As of February 2016, the CCI had yet to issue a final determinative ruling on the basis of Micromax's allegations.
In late 2014, Delhi High Court ruled that sales of the OnePlus One smartphone are blocked in India because Cyanogen OS signed an exclusive deal to sell Micromax mobile telephones only in India, although OnePlus One had a worldwide licensing deal. This move was seen as a monopoly to stem the sales of OnePlus One and other smartphone brands. However, the High Court lifted the ban, allowing OnePlus One to be sold in India as the licensing deals with Cyanogen are different for both parties.
Stealthy installation of adware
In early 2015, a Reddit user found adware installing itself stealthily on their Micromax Canvas Fire A093 telephone without permission. The adware was also using excess telephone resources such as data, memory storage, and battery life. Further investigations by the XDA community found the advertisements were created by Adups, an AdPush company based in China.
- "Micromax becomes number one mobile phone company in India". Patrika Group (5 August 2014). Archived from the original on 8 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- Lison, Joseph (27 June 2011). "We never thought we would sell 1.8 million handsets a month: Micromax co-founder". DNA. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- PTI. "Micromax world's 10th largest mobile phone brand in Q1: Gartner". Livemint (Press release). Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "India's Micromax, once a rising star, struggles". Reuters. 13 March 2016. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "Official website of YU". YuPlayGod. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "Micromax Informatics Ltd". tofler.in.
- Limaye, Jayesh (13 February 2013). "Micromax, An Indian Mobile Phone Company That Got It Right". Techtree. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- Singh, A. "Micromax: Capitalising on innovation and pricing". Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "IQ India 2012 Speakers and Panelists". Fonearena. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- Dharmakumar, Rohin (27 February 2010). "Micromax Mobile Advantage". forbesindia.com.
- "Micromax beats Samsung, becomes India's No. 1 vendor: Report". The Times of India. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- Satpathy, Sambit (23 January 2014). "Indian mobile phone brand Micromax launches in Russia, aims to release 14 smartphones in 2014". BGR. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- Oct 16, TIMESOFINDIA COM |; 2020; Ist, 18:54. "Micromax prepares to make a comeback in India with new sub-brand 'in' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 November 2020.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Micromax forays into refrigerator, washing machine segments". retail.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 10 March 2018.
- Khurana, Rohit (27 August 2013). "Micromax Canvas Series India- Evolution And How It Affected Indian Smartphone Market". intellectdigest.in. intellectdigest.in.
- Micromax Canvas Sliver 5 Launched, world slimmest phone Archived 19 June 2015 at the Wayback Machine, News Exprezz, 19 June 2015.
- "Microsoft announces Windows Phone 8.1, Micromax new hardware partner". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Micromax introduces Canvas Win series; Launches two Windows-based phones- Canvas Win W121 and Canvas Win W092!". Microsoft News Center India. Microsoft. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Micromax Canvas Amaze 2 launched with a 5-inch display at Rs 7,499". Indian Express. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "Micromax Canvas Unite 4 and Canvas Unite 4 Pro launched in India with Indus OS 2.0". MobiGyaan. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "Micromax Bharat 5 to launch in India today | Gadgets Now". Gadget Now. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- "Micromax Yu Ace launched in India at a price tag of Rs 5,999". themobileindian.com. 26 December 2018.
- "MiMicromax Canvas 3 Android-based Smart TV announced: Price in India, specifications". indianexpress.com.
- "Micromax to invest ₹2,000 cr in manufacturing". thehindubusinessline. 20 January 2018.
- "Micromax will grow steadily, organically, says co-founder Vikas Jain". dnaindia.com.
- "Micromax starts manufacturing smartphones in India". The Economic Times. 23 April 2014.
- "Micromax plant worth Rs 500 crore to come up in Rajasthan". Firstpost. 24 August 2015.
- "Micromax plans to do a Xiaomi, launches new brand 'Yu'". economictimes.indiatimes.com. 19 November 2014.
- "Cyanogen Inc Announces Micromax Partnership In India, Forming The YU smartphone brand". Micromax Co. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Micromax's YU brand handset to be launched next month". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Micromax Launches New Phone Brand YU, Powered by Cyanogen OS". Micromax Co. (19 November 2014). Archived from the original on 26 June 2015. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Micromax, TranServ, Visa form strategic partnership". ABP Live. 10 April 2015. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- "Twinkle Khanna chosen to endorse Micromax Mobiles?". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- Hugh Jackman to be face of Micromax. The Hindu (18 October 2013). Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- "Chitrangada Singh Sizzles at Micromax Canvas 4 Launch!". Times Internet. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "V&D 100 Awards: Emerging Company of the Year-Micromax Informatics". voicendata.com. 23 August 2011.
- Laha, Rozelle (28 April 2017). "Hero MotoCorp named 'Indian MNC of the Year'". LiveMint. Retrieved 14 April 2020.
- J. Gregory Sidak (2015). "FRAND in India: The Delhi High Court's Emerging Jurisprudence on Royalties for Standard-Essential Patents". Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice. 10 (8): 609–618. doi:10.1093/jiplp/jpv096.
- "Micromax Remotely Installing Unwanted Apps on Devices: Reports". NDTV Gadgets 360. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- Prabhu, Vijay (18 January 2015). "Micromax Remotely Installing Adware on its Smartphones causing unwanted downloads and popups". India: Techworm. Retrieved 1 January 2016.