|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015)|
|Industry||Telecommunications, Consumer Electronics|
|Founded||Delhi, India (29 March 2000)|
|Headquarters||Gurgaon, Haryana, India|
|Uthaya Vellu (Chairman)
|Products||Mobile phones, smartphones, tablet computers, 3G Datacards, LED televisions, tablets|
|Revenue||₹133 billion (US$2.1 billion)|
|Slogan||Nothing Like Anything|
Micromax is an Indian consumer electronics company headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. Micromax started as an IT software company in 2000 and worked on embedded platforms. It entered the mobile handset business, and became one of the largest Indian domestic mobile handsets company operating in low cost feature phone segments by 2010. As of Q3 2014, Micromax is the tenth largest smartphone vendor in the world.[unreliable source?]
Micromax was incorporated as Micromax Informatics Ltd. on 29 March 2000. They started selling mobile phones in 2008, with a focus on low pricing, in order to compete with international brands. Because of the issues of power in Dewas, Rahul Sharma saw a PCO being powered by a truck battery and decided to launch a feature phone with longer battery life. Micromax launched its first phone with a month-long battery back-up known as X1i. In 2014, Micromax surpassed Samsung to become the mobile phone manufacturer shipping the most number of phones in a single quarter in India. On 24 January 2014, Micromax became the first Indian mobile company to start sales in Russia.
In 2011, Micromax entered the tablet market with the Funbook series. Micromax launched the Octa Core flagship smartphone named as Canvas Knight A350, under the tagline 'Can be Furiously Fast' in January 2014 in Russia. In 2014, Micromax launched its Android One smartphone known as Canvas A1. In November 2014, Micromax partnered with Cyanogen Inc. to provide Cyanogen-based smartphones in India, under the brand name YU. On June 17, 2015 Micromax has launched Micromax Canvas Sliver 5, which they claimed to be the slimmest phone in the world.
While most of Micromax's smartphones are powered by the Android OS, the company also markets smartphones which operate Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.1. An official Windows Phone 8.1 hardware partner, Micromax launched 2 Windows Phone handsets in June 2014, the Micromax Canvas Win W092 and the Micromax Canvas Win W121, which are priced at ₹6500 and ₹9500 respectively.
Since April 2014, they have started manufacturing LED TVs and tablets at their factory in Rudrapur(SIDCUL), Uttarakhand.
Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna were one of the first celebrities to endorse Micromax Mobiles.Hugh Jackman appeared in the 2013 commercial for the Canvas Turbo A250 which was Micromax's first flagship smartphone. In July 2013, Chitrangada Singh posed for Canvas 4 smartphone in New Delhi.
- "Micromax beomes number one mobile phone company in India". Patrika Group (5 August 2014). Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- Joseph, Lison (27 June 2011) We never thought we would sell 1.8 million handsets a month: Micromax co-founder – Money – DNA. Dnaindia.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- "Micromax Informatics Ltd.". tofler.in.
- Limaye, Jayesh (13 February 2013). "Micromax, An Indian Mobile Phone Company That Got It Right". Techtree. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- Singh, A. "Micromax: Capitalising on innovation and pricing". Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- IQ India 2012 | Speakers and Panelists. Fonearena.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- Dharmakumar, Rohin (27 February 2010). "Micromax Mobile Advantage". forbesindia.com (forbesindia.com).
- "Mobile Phones". 8 August 2014.
- "New 'Fast' rising phone makers from China and India (Bharat)". ibtimes.com (ibtimes.com). 22 April 2014.
- "Micromax close to overtaking Samsung in India". gsmarena.com. 22 April 2014.
- . bgr (23 January 2014). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.
- Khurana, Rohit (27 August 2013). "Micromax Canvas Series India- Evolution And How It Affected Indian Smartphone Market". intellectdigest.in (intellectdigest.in).
- "Cyanogen Inc Announces Micromax Partnership In India, Forming The YU smartphone brand". Micromax Co. Retrieved 14 Dec 2014.
- "Micromax’s YU brand handset to be launched next month". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Micromax Launches New Phone Brand YU, Powered by Cyanogen OS". Micromax Co. (19 November 2014). Retrieved 14 Dec 2014.
- Micromax Canvas Sliver 5 Launched, world slimmest phone, News Exprezz, June 19 2015.
- Microsoft announces Windows Phone 8.1, Micromax new hardware partner
- Micromax introduces Canvas Win series; Launches two Windows-based phones- Canvas Win W121 and Canvas Win W092!
- "Micromax starts manufacturing smartphones in India". economictimes.indiatimes.com. 23 April 2014.
- Hugh Jackman to be face of Micromax. The Hindu (18 October 2013). Retrieved on 28 November 2013.