Program Guide in Mediaroom
|Developer(s)||Microsoft and Ericsson|
|Initial release||July 2007|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows
Android (operating system)
|Platform||Set Top Box
Video game console
Ericsson Mediaroom is an end-to-end video platform for operators to deliver Internet Protocol television IPTV subscription services, including content-protected, live, digital video recorder, video on demand, multiscreen, and applications. These services can be delivered to consumers via a range of devices inside and outside customers' homes, including wired and WiFi set top boxes, PCs, tablets, smartphones and other connected devices – over both the operator's managed IP networks as well as over the top (OTT)/unmanaged networks.
According to research by Frost & Sullivan, Ericsson Mediaroom is the global market leader in the IPTV sector, with a market share of 23%.
History and deployments
Originally launched by Microsoft as Microsoft TV (which included the Foundation Edition), the IPTV platform was named Microsoft Mediaroom and announced in June 2007 at the NXTcomm conference. In January 2010, Microsoft Mediaroom 2.0 was announced at the International Consumer Electronics Show.
On February 6, 2014, Ericsson announced it had entered into an agreement to purchase multiscreen video platform company Azuki Systems. Post-acquisition, Azuki Systems was renamed Ericsson Mediaroom Reach.
As of June 2016, Ericsson Mediaroom TV platforms power 65 commercial deployments in 34 countries, delivering services to over 16 million households via more than 30 million devices.
In 2014, Ericsson Mediaroom received a Global Market Leadership Award from Frost & Sullivan for its leadership position in the global pay TV IPTV middleware market. At The International Broadcasting Convention (IBC) in September 2014, NewBay Media's TVBEurope recognized Ericsson MediaFirst TV Platform with an IBC Best of Show Award.
Awards won prior to the Ericsson acquisition:
2013 TV Connect Industry Awards – Telefónica Digital – Best Multiscreen Service
2012 TelcoTV Vision Awards – AT&T U-Verse Wireless Receiver – Service Provider’s Innovation Award
2011 Telecom Asia Readers’ Choice Awards – Microsoft Mediaroom – Video Platform Vendor of the Year
2010 Stiftung Warentest – Deutsche Telekom’s TV service Entertain – Best Picture Quality
2009 Computer Bild magazine – Deutsche Telekom’s TV service Entertain – Best Triple Play
2008 TelcoTV Award – AT&T U-verse “Total Home DVR” – Most Innovative Award
2008 InfoVision Award - Xbox 360 with Mediaroom – Best Content, Entertainment, Applications, and Services
2008 CSI Awards – Microsoft Mediaroom – Best IPTV Technology
- Windows Media Center
- Interactive television
- Smart TV
- List of notable Smart TV platforms and middleware software
- 10-foot user interface
- Set-top box
- "Frost & Sullivan Recognizes Best-In-Class Companies with Prestigious Awards". Frost & Sullivan. March 2014. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- "A tour of Microsoft Mediaroom, Mediaroom is Microsoft's new IPTV and multimedia platform". Ars Technica. June 2007. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Microsoft Unites Software and Cloud Services to Power New TV Experiences". PRNEWSWIRE. Jan 2010. Retrieved 25 January 2010.
- Ericsson closes acquisition of Microsoft Mediaroom. 2013-09-05
- Ericsson extends television and media leadership via acquisition of Azuki Systems. 2014-02-06
- Ericsson Mediaroom
- Ericsson MediaFirst
- Ericsson Mediaroom
- "NewBay Media’s Best of Show winners announced". TVB Europe. September 2014. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Ericsson Mediaroom – official website.