Microsoft Office Picture Manager
Microsoft Office Picture Manager on Windows XP
|Last release||14.0.6123.5001 (SP1) / June 28, 2011|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Raster graphics editor|
|License||Same as the host Microsoft Office (varies)|
Microsoft Office Picture Manager is a software program included with the Microsoft Office suite versions 2003 through 2010. It is no longer included with Office 2013. Picture Manager is a basic image editing and image management program. It replaced Microsoft Photo Editor, which had been included up to Microsoft Office XP since Microsoft Office 97.
The program went through several name revisions while in beta, notably starting out as Microsoft Office Picture Library 2003, then losing the 2003 designation (more reserved for the actual Office applications) in beta 2, and finally settling on the current name.
Microsoft Office Picture Manager has the ability to crop, resize, and convert images between various formats like Paint, but with comparably better picture quality, due to being able to select compression level.
It also supports several more advanced capabilities, such as batch editing/saving/renaming, fine-tuning of midtones, highlights, and shadows, and red-eye removal. It also has easy-to-use features such as one-click image compression, and resizing to a user's own choice. It does not however, offer any sort of actual drawing or text-editing tools.
One of its unique features is the ability to link and upload pictures to a Microsoft SharePoint picture library. Therefore, a user can easily share photos among team members over the Internet. It is also possible to easily export photos from the program to other Office programs, while allowing a user to specify custom image dimensions.
Changes from previous editions
Picture Manager lacks several features of its predecessor, Photo Editor. Microsoft has published instructions on how to reinstall Photo Editor. Historically, a similar situation occurred when Photo Editor replaced Microsoft Imager when upgrading from Office 95 to Office 97.
- On renaming a file to an existing filename PM replaces the original file with the renamed one without confirmation. This also occurs while using the "Rename" command from the "Edit" menubar item.
- When rotating files, PM does not clear related Exif tags. As a result, other programs which read Exif tags will not display it correctly.
- Tyson, Herb. "MS Photo Editor, Wherefore Art Thou?". TechTrax. Retrieved 2006-10-23.
- "List of Photo Editor features which are not available in Picture Manager 2003". Microsoft Knowledge Base. August 16, 2006. Retrieved 2006-10-23.
- "Photo Editor is removed when you install Office 2003". Microsoft Knowledge Base. January 10, 2006. Retrieved 2006-10-23.
- "OFF97: Microsoft Imager Removed by Microsoft Office 97 Install". Microsoft Support. Microsoft. 2000-11-22. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Graphic file types". Microsoft Office Online. Retrieved 2008-09-17.
- Print command is not available in Picture Manager 2003