Microsoft Publisher 2013 running on Windows 8
2016 (16.0.x) / September 22, 2015
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Desktop publishing software|
Microsoft Publisher is an entry-level desktop publishing application from Microsoft, differing from Microsoft Word in that the emphasis is placed on page layout and design rather than text composition and proofing.
Publisher is included in higher-end editions of Microsoft Office, reflecting Microsoft's emphasis on the application as an easy-to-use and less expensive alternative to the "heavyweights" with a focus on the small-business market, where firms do not have dedicated design professionals available to make marketing materials and other documents. However, it has a relatively small share of the desktop publishing market, which is dominated by Adobe InDesign and QuarkXPress.
In Microsoft Office 2007, while most of Microsoft Office apps adopted ribbons in their user interface, Publisher retained its toolbars and did not adopt ribbons until the next version, Microsoft Office 2010.
LibreOffice has supported Publisher's proprietary file format (.pub) since February 2013. Corel Draw X4 features read-only support. Adobe PageMaker also saves files with a .pub extension, but the two files are incompatible and unrelated. Publisher supports numerous other file formats, including the Enhanced Metafile (EMF) format, which is supported on Windows platforms. The Microsoft Publisher trial version can be used to view .pub files beyond the trial period.
|Name||Version number||Release date||Editions of Microsoft Office included in|
|Publisher for Windows 95||3.0||Sep 15, 1995||N/A|
|Microsoft Publisher 97||8.0[a]||Dec 8, 1996||Small Business Edition|
|Microsoft Publisher 98||8.5||Jun 21, 1998||Small Business Edition 2.0|
|Microsoft Publisher 2000||9.0||Sep 7, 1999||Small Business Edition, Professional, Premium, Developer|
|Microsoft Publisher 2002||10.0||May 31, 2001||Professional OEM, Professional Special Edition|
|Microsoft Office Publisher 2003||11.0||Nov 24, 2003||Small Business, Professional, Professional Plus, Enterprise|
|Microsoft Office Publisher 2007||12.0||Jan 27, 2007||Small Business, Professional, Ultimate, Professional Plus, Enterprise|
|Microsoft Publisher 2010||14.0[b]||Jun 15, 2010||Standard, Professional, Professional Plus|
|Microsoft Publisher 2013||15.0||Jan 29, 2013||Professional, Professional Plus, Standard (volume licensing), all Office 365 editions|
|Microsoft Publisher 2016||16.0||Sep 22, 2015||Professional, Professional Plus, Standard (volume licensing), all Office 365 editions|
- "Desktop Publishing Software 2007 Style". Computor edge. 2007-07-27. Archived from the original on 2011-09-02. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Office Publisher 07". PC World Australia. IDG. Archived from the original on 2012-07-28. Retrieved 2012-02-13..
- "User interface differences in Office 2010 vs earlier versions". TechNet. Microsoft. Archived from the original on April 12, 2016. Retrieved April 22, 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-05-18. Retrieved 2017-04-09.
- "Where is the Publisher viewer?". Microsoft. Archived from the original on March 16, 2010. Retrieved November 7, 2010.
- "Publisher Life-cycle". Microsoft. Archived from the original on 2011-09-26. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- Paul Thurrott (2009-05-14). "Office 2010 FAQ". Archived from the original on 2009-04-19. Retrieved 2009-12-30.