Web Platform Installer
|Initial release||January 21, 2009|
5.0 / February 14, 2013
Windows XP SP3 and later|
Windows Server 2003 SP2 and later
|Available in||14 languages|
|Type||Package management system|
Web Platform Installer (Web PI) is a freeware package management system that installs non-commercial development tools and their dependencies that are part of Microsoft Web Platform, including:
- Internet Information Services
- Visual Web Developer Express Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition
- .NET Framework
- Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio
The ability to install third-party software was added in version 2.0, released September 24, 2009. As of July 2015[update], Web PI can install 82 titles. Web PI 2.0's options are populated dynamically at runtime from Microsoft's servers, allowing installation options to be updated without the need to download newer versions of the Web PI itself.
On July 7, 2010, Microsoft announced Web PI 3 which includes WebMatrix, a new set of integrated tools for web development. Web PI 3 installs additional tools for web development including IIS Developer Express, SQL Server Compact and DotNetNuke.
Web PI features an offline mode where products can be downloaded to a local cache on a machine where internet access is available and then use these cached files on a different machine later. However, Web PI is still not usable in environments where an Internet connection is not available.
- LAMP (software bundle) - free and open source stack to build a general-purpose web server
- Microsoft Web Platform Installer v1.0 Released! : BillS IIS Blog : The Official Microsoft IIS Site. Blogs.iis.net. Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- "Microsoft Web Platform Installer 5.0". microsoft.com. Microsoft. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- Free Web Development Tools for Windows | Microsoft WebMatrix 3. Microsoft.com. Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- Windows Web App Gallery - Featured Apps. Microsoft.com. Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- Download the Microsoft Web Platform. Microsoft.com (2013-02-14). Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- Web Platform Installer v4 Command Line (WebPICMD.exe) - RTW release : The Official Microsoft IIS Site. Iis.net (2014-12-04). Retrieved on 2015-02-06.