Web Platform Installer
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2015)|
|This article is outdated. (July 2015)|
|Initial release||21 January 2009|
|Stable release||5.0 / February 14, 2013|
|Operating system||Windows XP SP3 and later
Windows Server 2003 SP2 and later
|Available in||14 languages|
|Type||Package management system|
Web Platform Installer (Web PI) is a freeware package management system that installs non-commercial development tools and their dependencies that are part of Microsoft Web Platform, including but not limited to:
- Internet Information Services
- Visual Web Developer Express Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition
- .NET Framework
- Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio
The ability to install third-party software was added in version 2.0, released September 24, 2009. As of July 2015[update], Web PI can install 82 titles. Web PI 2.0's options are populated dynamically at runtime from Microsoft's servers, allowing installation options to be updated without the need to download newer versions of the Web PI itself.
On July 7, 2010, Microsoft announced Web PI 3 which includes WebMatrix, a new set of integrated tools for web development. Web PI 3 installs additional tools for web development including IIS Developer Express, SQL Server Compact and DotNetNuke.
Whilst the web platform installer is useful it is not usable in environments where an internet connection is not available such as some back-end servers in deployed in an enterprise scenario. To overcome this limitation Microsoft have introduced an offline mode where products can be downloaded to a local cache on a machine where internet access is available and then use these cached files on a different machine later.
- LAMP (software bundle) - free and open source stack to build a general-purpose web server
- Microsoft Web Platform Installer v1.0 Released! : BillS IIS Blog : The Official Microsoft IIS Site. Blogs.iis.net. Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- "Microsoft Web Platform Installer 5.0". microsoft.com. Microsoft. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- Free Web Development Tools for Windows | Microsoft WebMatrix 3. Microsoft.com. Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- Windows Web App Gallery - Featured Apps. Microsoft.com. Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- Download the Microsoft Web Platform. Microsoft.com (2013-02-14). Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- Web Platform Installer v4 Command Line (WebPICMD.exe) - RTW release : The Official Microsoft IIS Site. Iis.net (2014-12-04). Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- Official website
- Introduction to WebPI and WebPI Command-Line Utility
- Install and configure web development tools using Web PI 3