Microsoft Word Viewer
Word Viewer v11 running on Windows 8
|Stable release||v11.8169.8172 SP3 / September 27, 2007|
|Operating system||Windows 2000 SP4, Windows Server 2003 SP1, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP2, Windows 7|
|Available in||36 languages|
Microsoft Word Viewer is a freeware program for Microsoft Windows that can display and print Microsoft Word documents. Word Viewer allows text from a Word document to be copied into clipboard and pasted into a word processor. The last version made was compatible with Word 2007. Since then, it has been superseded by Office Online and free mobile versions of Word.
Microsoft Word Viewer supports:
- binary Word documents (.doc)
- Office Open XML documents (.docx, .docm)
- Rich Text Format (.rtf)
- Text files (.txt)
- HTML (.htm, .html) and MHTML (.mht, .mhtml)
- Word XML format (.xml)
- WordPerfect v5.x and v6.x files (.wpd)
- Microsoft Works documents (.wps)
For viewing Office Open XML documents, Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats must be installed.
Word Viewer 97-2000 was released on 17 March 1999. It opens documents that are created with Word 97, Word 2000 and Word for Mac v4.x and later. It was available for Windows in 16-bit and 32-bit versions. It can display Word documents in Internet Explorer 3.x and later.
Word Viewer 2003 was released on 15 December 2004. It added support for Word XP and Word 2003.
Development of the product is stopped ever since. In the meantime, Microsoft has made other ways of reading Office documents available: Word Web App (a freeware version of Microsoft Word) as well as WordPad (a native component of Windows) in Windows 7 and later can create, view or edit Office Open XML documents (.docx). WordPad also supports Rich Text Format (.rtf) and text files (.txt).
No versions for any other operating system besides Windows were ever released.
- Microsoft Excel Viewer
- Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer
- List of word processors
- Comparison of word processors
- "Word Viewer". Download Center. Microsoft. 26 September 2007. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "How to obtain the latest Word Viewer". Support. Microsoft. 27 November 2012. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "Description of the Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000". Support. Microsoft. 19 January 2007. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "Microsoft Word Viewer". Helper applications. The Institution of Engineering and Technology. 20 October 2011. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "Windows 7: The Top 10 Hidden Features". PC Magazine. Ziff Davis. 30 September 2010. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Using WordPad". Windows portal. Microsoft. Retrieved 3 April 2013.