Microsoft licensing corruption scandal
The Microsoft licensing corruption scandal is an ongoing political scandal and criminal investigation in Romania, involving large bribes paid to Romanian government members in exchange for approving increases in license fees for Microsoft products.
Apart from Microsoft, this scandal involved several major multinational corporations, including Fujitsu-Siemens, IBM, Compaq, Hewlett-Packard, S&T and local software companies like SIVECO and Softwin.
Persons involved in scandal
- Elena Udrea, President of the People's Movement Party (2014–15) and Minister of Tourism (2008–12)
- Adriean Videanu, Minister of Economy (2008–10) and Mayor of Bucharest (2005–08)
- Ecaterina Andronescu, Minister of Education (2000–03, 2008–09, 2012)
- Valerian Vreme, former Minister of Communications
- Șerban Mihăilescu, PSD senator
- Dan Nica, Minister of Communications (2000–04, 2012) and Minister of the Interior (2009)
- Adriana Țicău, PSD MEP
- Gabriel Sandu, Minister of Communications (2008–10)
- Daniel Funeriu, Minister of Education (2009–12)
- Alexandru Athanasiu, PSD MEP and Acting Prime Minister of Romania (1999)
- Mihai Tănăsescu, Member of the Trilateral Commission
- Dorin Cocoș, businessman and former spouse of Elena Udrea
- Gheorghe Ștefan, former Mayor of Piatra Neamț
- Dumitru Nicolae, businessman
On 24 March 2016, Dorin Cocoș was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment for influence peddling and money laundering, and to an asset forfeiture of €3 million. Gabriel Sandu was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment for bribery and money laundering, and to an asset forfeiture of over €2 million. Gheorghe Ștefan was sentenced to 3 years imprisonment for influence peddling and to an asset forfeiture of €3 million. Dumitru Nicolae was convicted to 1 and a half years suspended sentence, €1 million forfeiture and 90 days community service. The sentences are not final and can be appealed.
On 3 October 2016, Dorin Cocoș was sentenced to 2 years 4 months imprisonment for influence peddling and money laundering, and to an asset forfeiture of €9 million. Gabriel Sandu was sentenced to 3 years imprisonment for bribery and money laundering, and to an asset forfeiture of over €2 million. Gheorghe Ștefan was sentenced to 6 years imprisonment for influence peddling and to an asset forfeiture of over €3 million. Nicolae Dumitru was convicted to 2 years 4 months imprisonment, $2,050,000 and €1 million forfeiture. These sentences are final.
- National Anticorruption Directorate, Comunicat Nr. 1342/VIII/3, 26 September 2014
- Cine este Claudiu Florică, personajul cheie din DOSARUL FRAUDELOR din IT", September 30, 2014
- "Autodenunt in dosarul Microsoft: Cum le-am dat eu spaga guvernantilor si marilor corporatii IT mai bine de 13 ani", Hotnews, October 2, 2014
- Z., M. (28 January 2015). "DEZVĂLUIRI din Dosarul Microsoft. Pinalti: Peste 100 de persoane implicate, printre ei şi MINIŞTRI. Voi da toate sumele şi numele". Antena 3 (in Romanian).
- Ispas, Livia (26 September 2014). "DNA cere URMĂRIREA PENALĂ a nouă foşti miniştri, în cazul licenţelor Microsoft. Persoane din Guvern şi ministere au pretins comisioane de 20 milioane de dolari. REACŢII ale foştilor miniştri". Mediafax.ro (in Romanian).
- "DOSARUL MICROSOFT: Dorin Cocoş şi fostul ministru Gabriel Sandu, câte doi ani de închisoare. Gheorghe Ştefan a primit trei ani". Mediafax (in Romanian). 24 March 2016. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- "Sentință în dosarul Microsoft. Pedepse cu executare și confiscarea a 10 milioane de euro". Digi24 (in Romanian). 24 March 2016. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- "Condamnări definitive în Dosarul "Microsoft". Dumitru Nicolae (Niro) şi Dorin Cocoş, condamnaţi la câte 2 ani şi 4 luni închisoare, Gabriel Sandu - 3 ani, Gheorghe Ştefan - 6 ani. Gheorghe Ştefan: "Mă consider vinovat"". Mediafax (in Romanian). 3 October 2016. Retrieved 4 October 2016.