Middelgrunden is an offshore wind farm in the Øresund 3.5 km outside Copenhagen, Denmark. When it was built in 2000, it was the world's largest offshore farm, with 20 turbines (2 MW Bonus each) and a capacity of 40 MW. The farm delivers about 4% of the power for Copenhagen.
In 1996, the project was initiated by the Copenhagen Environment and Energy Office (CEEO) after Middelgrunden had been listed as a potential site in the Danish Action Plan for Offshore Wind. Together with the CEEO a group of local people formed the Middelgrunden Wind Turbine Cooperative and established a cooperation with Copenhagen Energy, the local electric utility. The proposed location was initially opposed by the Danish Society for Nature Conservation, but this decision was later changed. Concrete gravity base foundations were chosen as the cheapest option.
This project is an example for community wind energy. It is 50% owned by the 10,000 investors in the Middelgrunden Wind Turbine Cooperative, and 50% by the municipal utility company. Being clearly visible from the capital of Denmark it states the importance of wind power in Denmark.
- "Environmental Capital of Europe". Copenhagen, Environmental Capital of Europe. Archived from the original on 2007-07-06. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- Larsen, Jens H. The World´s largest off-shore windfarm, Middelgrunden 40MW Copenhagen Environment and Energy Office (CEEO), 2001. Retrieved: 19 November 2010.
- Hans Christian Sørensen; Lars Kjeld Hansen; Jens H. Mølgaard Larsen (2002). "Middelgrunden 40 MW offshore wind farm Denmark: Lessons Learned" (PDF). SPOK Consult. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-08-20. Retrieved 2007-06-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Middelgrunden offshore wind farm.|
- Middelgrunden Wind Turbine Cooperative (English page)
- Middelgrunden at 4C
- LORC Knowledge - Datasheet for Middelgrunden Offshore Wind Farm
- Middelgrunden at PowerTechnology
|This article about a wind farm is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Denmark-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|