Middle Township High School
|Middle Township High School|
|300 East Atlantic Avenue
Cape May Court House, NJ 08210
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Middle Township Public Schools|
|Vice principal||Nancy Loteck|
|Enrollment||755 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.7:1|
|Athletics conference||Cape-Atlantic League|
Middle Township High School is a four-year public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Middle Township in Cape May County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Middle Township Public Schools. In addition to students from Middle Township, students from Avalon, Dennis Township, Stone Harbor and Woodbine attend the high school as part of sending/receiving relationships with their respective school districts.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 755 students and 64.6 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.7:1. There were 240 students (31.8% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 44 (5.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 224th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 194th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 263rd in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 232nd in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 223rd in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Middle Township High School Panthers compete in the National Division of the Cape-Atlantic League, an athletic conference consisting of both parochial and public high schools located in Atlantic County, Cape May County, Cumberland County, and Gloucester County, that operates under the aegis of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 536 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as South Jersey, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 496 to 778 students in that grade range.
Interscholastic sports offered at Middle Township include:
- Fall sports: Football (M), Cross Country, Field Hockey (W), Soccer, Volleyball, Tennis and Cheerleading
- Winter sports: Wrestling, Indoor Track, Basketball, Swim and Cheerleading
- Spring sports: Baseball, Softball, Lacrosse, Tennis, Track & Field, and Golf.
All sports compete at the Varsity and Junior Varsity level. Some sports may offer a freshman team.
The girls' basketball team won the Group II state championship (defeating Summit High School in the tournament final) and won the Group III title in 1995 (vs. Sparta High School); the boys' basketball team won the Group III title in 1993 and 1994 (vs. Hillside High School in both years), and in 2002 (vs. Abraham Clark High School).
The school's marching band was Tournament of Bands Chapter One Champions in 1978 (Group 1), 1980–1982, 1984-1987 (Group 2), 1988-1994 (Group 3) and 1995-2004 (Group 2), having won championships 25 times in a span of 27 years, including a span of 21 consecutive championships. The marching band has been recognized as Atlantic Coast Champion in Group 2 on eleven occasions (1986, 1995, 1997–2003, 2006–2007) and has won the Atlantic Coast Championship in Group 3 four times (1988–1990 and 1992), totaling 15 Atlantic Coast Championships. In the years 2006 through 2008 the marching bands drum line won high percussion at Atlantic coast championships and by doing this retired the drum trophy. The school's indoor color guard was Tournament Indoor Association Scholastic A champions in 1993 and 1998, and Independent A champions in 2000 and 2001.
The school's indoor drumline was Tournament Indoor Association Scholastic A champions in 1998, Scholastic Open champions in 1999 and 2003, and Scholastic World champions from 1985-1987.
Mock trial team
Middle Township High School's mock trial team, coached by Martina Trapani, has achieved success in Cape May County for quite some time. In 2007 and in 2011 the team won state championships. The team finished 2nd in the first annual American Mock Trial Invitational in 2006, losing by a 5-4 score in the final round. Middle Township continues to participate in the Vincent J. Appruzesse New Jersey High School Mock Trial Competition.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Frank Riggitano - Principal
- Nancy Loteck - Vice-Principal
- Megan Compain (born 1975, class of 1993), Olympic basketball player for New Zealand.
- Stedman Graham (born 1951), a 1,000-point scorer for the boys varsity basketball team, educator, author, businessman and speaker who is known as the partner of media mogul Oprah Winfrey.
- LaMarr Greer (born 1976, class of 1994), retired basketball player who played in the United States Basketball League and the International Basketball League, after leading the school's basketball team to win the NJSIAA Group II state championships in both 1993 and 1994.
- Anthony Maher (born 1979), soccer forward who was a member of the United States National Futsal team and a National Team 'pool player' that took part in the 2007 Pan-American Games in Brazil.
- School data for Middle Township High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Middle Township High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 30, 2016.
- Middle Township High School 2015 School Report Card, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 30, 2016. "Middle Township High School is a four-year, accredited, comprehensive high school situated in central Cape May County. The school serves the communities of Middle Township, Dennis Township, Avalon, Stone Harbor, and Woodbine Borough."
- Home page, Middle Township Public Schools. Accessed May 30, 2016. "The high school is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades. In addition to students from Middle Township, students from Avalon, Dennis Township, Stone Harbor and Woodbine attend the high school as part of sending/receiving relationships."
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 20, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 30, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 30, 2016.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Public Past State Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 27, 2016.
- Tournament of Bands - Chapter One History, Tournament of Bands. Accessed July 5, 2007.
- Miller, Michael. "Middle Township wins state's mock trial competition, beating the defending champion in the finals ", The Press of Atlantic City, March 25, 2011. Accessed September 22, 2011. "Middle Township won New Jersey's mock trial competition on Thursday in a performance before state Supreme Court Justice Stuart J. Rabner. Middle bested a field of more than 250 teams in this year's competition before defeating last year's state champs, West Morris Mendham High School from Morris County.... Trapani has fielded several competitive teams in recent years. Middle won the state championship in 2007 and finished second in 2006."
- Staff. "MIDDLE TOWNSHIP HIGH SCHOOL SECOND IN MOCK-TRIAL COMPETITION", The Press of Atlantic City, May 18, 2006. Accessed September 22, 2011. "Students from Middle Township High School took second place in the American Mock Trial Invitation in Chapel Hill, North Carolina on Wednesday.Middle Township lost in a close 5-4 decision to Redland High School in California, said Rita Tice, chairwoman of the school's language arts department."
- Administration, Middle Township High School. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Staff. "New Jersey Olympians in other sports", The Press of Atlantic City, August 28, 2009. Accessed September 22, 2011. "Megan Compain. Sport: Basketball (New Zealand) - New Jersey Ties: Compain attended Middle Township High School as an exchange student through 1993 and played for the girls' basketball team during her junior and senior years."
- "Embrace Diversity With Stedman Graham: 'Diversity: Leaders Not Labels' Teaches Readers to Harness Their Skills and Achieve Success", ABC News, September 21, 2006. Accessed June 17, 2007. "Students were bused from Whitesboro to attend Middle Township schools, where I attended an integrated high school."
- McGarry, Michael. "European basketball star LaMarr Greer remembers his roots in Middle Township", The Press of Atlantic City, July 2, 2010. Accessed August 15, 2016. "The photographs on the wall of LaMarr Greer's Middle Township home tell the story of his basketball travels.... Basketball has taken Greer around the world but each summer the Middle Township High School graduate returns to Cape May County.... Greer led Middle to the 1993 and 1994 state Group II titles."
- Staff. "CMCH's Anthony Maher Elected to South Jersey Soccer Hall of Fame", Our Sports Central, April 8, 2009. Accessed August 11, 2016. "Maher graduated Middle Township High School second all-time in scoring and continued his education at Mercyhurst College where he was named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Offensive Player-of-the-Year in 2000 and 2001 and a NSCAA Division II All-American in 2001."
- Middle Township High School
- Middle Township Public Schools
- Middle Township Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Middle Township Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Middle Township HS