Middlefield Township, Geauga County, Ohio
|Middlefield Township, Geauga County, Ohio|
Location of Middlefield Township in Geauga County
|• Total||23.0 sq mi (59.5 km2)|
|• Land||22.8 sq mi (59.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,165 ft (355 m)|
|• Density||197/sq mi (75.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086155|
Located in the southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Huntsburg Township - north
- Windsor Township, Ashtabula County - northeast corner
- Mesopotamia Township, Trumbull County - east
- Farmington Township, Trumbull County - southeast corner
- Parkman Township - south
- Troy Township - southwest corner
- Burton Township - west
- Claridon Township - northwest corner
The village of Middlefield is located in western Middlefield Township.
Name and history
The Middlefield Cheese House has manufactured cheese locally since 1956, and gives public tours. In addition to tourism, other major employers include Middlefield Plastics, Mercury Plastics, and Masco Corporation, which manufactures KraftMaid kitchen cabinets.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Middlefield township, Geauga County, Ohio (revision of 12-05-2012)". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 13, 2017.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. U.S. Government Printing Office. p. 207.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- "Ohio Amish history, culture and shopping in Geauga County. TourGeauga". Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- "Ridgeview Farm". Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- "Our Heritage & History – Middlefield Swiss Cheese". Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- "Custom Plastic Extrusions Tubing Profiles - Ohio - Middlefield Plastics, Inc". Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- "Mercury Plastics, Inc – Custom Thermoplastic Extrusions and Plastic Extruders". Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- "KraftMaid parent company moves jobs from Middlefield » Local News » The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio". Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.