Middleton, South Australia
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Population||1,156 (2016 census)|
|Time zone||ACST (UTC+9:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||ACDT (UTC+10:30)|
|Region||Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island|
Middleton is a holiday and tourist destination with a popular surf beach. Some southern right whales calve and mate in the waters off Middleton's beaches and can be viewed from Middleton Point or Bashams Beach during the whale watching season (June or July to October). Australian sea lions can be seen resting on beaches.
Middleton has many holiday homes and a caravan park. It also has two doctors' surgeries, a pharmacy, a surf school, general store, hotel, bakery, hairdresser, antique shop, manufacturing jeweller, beautician and a high quality restaurant. It has two playgrounds, tennis courts and an art and craft centre.
The land on which the original homes of Middleton stand was purchased by Lt Col Thomas Higgins in 1849 who named the town after a Middleton in Ireland. The original inhabitants of the area were the Ngarrindjeri people and at least three burial sites are said to be situated around the town, one of which has been built over by a commercial entity.
Notes and references
- "Search results for 'Middleton, LOCB' with the following datasets being selected – 'Suburbs and Localities', 'Counties', 'Hundreds', 'Local Government Areas', 'Postcodes', 'SA Government Regions' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Middleton (SA) (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "Postcode for Middleton, South Australia". postcodes-australia.com. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "Fleurieu Kangaroo Island SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "District of Finniss Background Profile". Electoral Commission SA. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Federal electoral division of Mayo, boundary gazetted 16 December 2011" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Monthly climate statistics: Summary statistics HINDMARSH ISLAND AWS (nearest station)". Commonwealth of Australia , Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 1 February 2019.