18 December 1982
|Education||National Taiwan University of Science and Technology Master of Design|
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, cinematographer, editor|
|Awards||53rd Golden Horse Awards, Taipei Film Awards|
Chao Te-yin (Chinese: 趙德胤; pinyin: Zhào Déyìn; born 18 December 1982), also known as Midi Z, is a Myanmar-born Taiwanese film director. His 2014 film Ice Poison was selected as the Taiwanese entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 87th Academy Awards.
Life and career
Chao was born in Lashio, Shan State, Myanmar. Both his parents are of Chinese descent, and his ancestral home is Nanjing. The son of a cook and a doctor, Chao was the youngest of five children and grew up poor. He won a scholarship and moved to Taiwan when he was 16, where he went to high school. Chao received his bachelor's degree and master's degree in design at National Taiwan University of Science and Technology.
In 2011, he renounced his Burmese citizenship, and became a naturalised citizen of Taiwan.
- 2011 : Return to Burma (歸來的人)
- 2012 : Poor Folk (窮人。榴槤。麻藥。偷渡客)
- 2014 : Ice Poison (冰毒)
- 2016 : The Road to Mandalay (再見瓦城)
- 2019 : Nina Wu (灼人秘密)
- 2018 : 14 Apples (十四顆蘋果)
- 2015 : Jade Miners (挖玉石的人)
- 2016 : City of Jade (翡翠之城)
- 2014 : The Palace on the Sea
- 2014: Taipei Film Awards: Best Director
- 2016: 53rd Golden Horse Awards: Outstanding Taiwanese Filmmaker of the Year
- 2016: 73rd Venice International Film Festival: FEDEORA Award for Best Film
- "Taiwan to Take Ice Poison on Foreign-Language Oscar Campaign". Variety. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- Hui, La Francis (27 February 2015). "Interview: Son of Myanmar Midi Z Returns Home to Tell Its Tales On Screen". Asia Society. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- Hsu, Jenny W. (18 February 2014). "Burmese-Chinese Director Midi Z on 'Ice Poison'". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Homecoming Myanmar: A Midi Z Retrospective (Film Series)". Asia Society. 2 February 2015. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- Chen, Christie (26 November 2016). "GOLDEN HORSE AWARDS: Midi Z receives outstanding filmmaker award". Central News Agency. Retrieved 27 November 2016.