Midland Railway 3835 Class
|Midland Railway 3835 Class
"Class 4 Goods"
No. 43965 at work on the ex-Midland Melton Mowbray - Peterborough line
The Midland Railway (MR) 3835 Class is a class of 0-6-0 steam locomotive designed for freight work. The first two were introduced in 1911 by Henry Fowler. After the grouping in 1923 they continued to be built up to 1941 by the LMS as the LMS Fowler Class 4F.
A total of 197 engines were built. 192 of them were sequentially numbered 3835–4026 for the Midland Railway. After nationalisation in 1948 British Railways added 40000 to their numbers so they became 43835–44026. Five engines were constructed by Armstrong Whitworth for the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway in 1922, numbered 57–61. They were absorbed into LMS stock in 1930, becoming 4557–4561.
Accidents and incidents
- On 19 November 1926, locomotive No. 3980 was one of two hauling a freight train. One of the private owner wagons disintegrated, derailing the train at Parkgate and Rawmarsh, Yorkshire. A signal post was partly brought down, obstructing an adjacent line. The carriages of an express passenger train had their sides ripped open by the signal post. Eleven people were killed.
- On 6 March 1930, locomotive No. 4009 was hauling a ballast train that was in collision with a passenger train at Langwathby station, Cumberland. The passenger train had departed from Culgaith against signals. Two people were killed and four were seriously injured.
The 197 engines in this class were withdrawn between 1954 and 1965 as follows:
start of year
|1955||196||5||43835/67/94, 43909, 44006|
|1956||191||8||43874/75/95, 43936/43/56/74, 44024|
|1958||164||4||43879/92, 43978, 44021|
|1960||124||8||43839/40/43/68/97, 43973/89, 44019|
One Midland-built 4F, (4)3924 is preserved on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, the first locomotive to leave Woodham Brothers scrapyard in Barry, South Wales. Three LMS-built 4Fs have also been preserved.
- Baxter, Bertram (1982). Baxter, David, ed. British Locomotive Catalogue 1825–1923, Volume 3A: Midland Railway and its constituent companies. Ashbourne, Derbyshire: Moorland Publishing Company.
- Baxter, Bertram (1984). Baxter, David, ed. British Locomotive Catalogue 1825–1923, Volume 4: Scottish and remaining English Companies in the LMS Group. Ashbourne, Derbyshire: Moorland Publishing Company.
- Casserley, H. C. & Johnston, Stuart W. (1974) . Locomotives at the Grouping 3: London, Midland and Scottish Railway. Shepperton, Surrey: Ian Allan. ISBN 0-7110-0554-0.
- Earnshaw, Alan (1993). Trains in Trouble: Vol. 8. Penryn: Atlantic Books. ISBN 0-906899-52-4.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Midland Railway 3835 Class.|
|This article relating to steam locomotives operated in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|