Midlands, Province of Zimbabwe
|• Total||49,166 km2 (18,983 sq mi)|
|Population (2012 census)|
|• Density||33/km2 (85/sq mi)|
Midlands is a province of Zimbabwe. It has an area of 49,166 square kilometres (18,983 sq mi) and a population of 1,614,941 (2012). Gweru is the capital of the province. It is home to various peoples. As a central point in Zimbabwe it has a blend of Shona, Ndebele, Tswana, Suthu, Chewa among various other languages spoken in Zimbabwe.
It has the third largest city in Zimbabwe and that is Gweru, followed by Kwekwe, which is considerably the town with the richest industries in both mining and manufacturing with gold mines all-over and the Sable Chemicals Trust also maintaining a presence.
Midlands Provinces is divided into 8 districts:
The Provincial Administrator oversees all the 8 districts in the province, each district having its own district administrator. District Administrators work with local authories in their respective districts. Local authories have their own Chairmen (mayors for municipalities). These urban councils were established in accordance with the Zimbabwe Urban Councils Act, Chapter 29.15 while rural district councils were created in terms of the Zimbabwe Rural District Councils Act, Chapter 29.13
Of the 8 districts Gokwe South, Gweru, Kwekwe, Shurugwi and Zvishavane have two local government administrative authorities; the Urban District Council (town council or municipality) and the Rural District Council. Chirumhanzu, Gokwe North and Mberengwa districts have no urban councils.
The 8 rural district councils in all 8 subdivisions;
- Gokwe North RDC in Gokwe North
- Gokwe South RDC in Gokwe South
- Mberengwa RDC in Mberengwa
- Runde RDC in Zvishavane
- Tongogara RDC in Shurungwi
- Takawira RDC in Chirumhanzu
- Vungu RDC in Gweru
- Zibagwe RDC in Kwekwe
- City Councils in the province are Gweru and Kwekwe municipalities.
- Town Councils are Shurugwi, Zvishavane and Gokwe.
- Ministries of Local Government International |Chapter 29:15 Urban Councils Act|Zimbabwe Urban_Councils Act mlgi.org.za|Retrieved 1 March 2016
- Ministries of Local Government International Rural District Councils Act. MLGI|Resources|Retrieved 1 March 2016
|This Zimbabwe location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|