This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Ludwigsburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany|
|Genres||Gothic metal, folk metal|
|Associated acts||Savn, Ahab, Leaves' Eyes|
|Members||Carmen Elise Espenæs|
|Past members||Christian FüttererChristian HectorFabian "Fabz" PospiechDaniel DrosteBirgit ÖllbrunnerMatthias SchulerChris Merzinsky|
Midnattsol are a gothic/folk metal band from Germany. The band was founded in 2002 by Norwegian vocalist Carmen Elise Espenæs and German guitarist Christian Hector. Midnattsol means 'midnight sun' in Norwegian (even though the phenomena is actually spelled midnattssol and not midnattsol).
In 2002, singer Carmen Elise Espenæs and guitarist Christian Hector founded Midnattsol with the intention to start working on a new project once they found like-minded musicians to join their band. Espenæs had recently moved from her native Norway to Germany to stay with her sister Liv Kristine, a member of the band Theater of Tragedy. The other members of the first Midnattsol lineup were drummer Chris Merzinsky (formerly of Penetralia) and keyboardist Daniel Fischer, with guitarist Daniel Droste and bassist Birgit Öllbrunner added slightly later. With this formation, the band recorded a demo and got a record contract with Napalm Records. Espenæs wrote most of the band's lyrics, and contributed to the musical composition.
Their sound is essentially symphonic metal with influences from folk metal and power metal. The band prefers to call their style "Nordic folk metal" because of the folk elements in their music and occasional Norwegian lyrics. Their lyrics are largely based on Norwegian folk tales. Their first full-length album, Where Twilight Dwells, was released in 2005; their next album, Nordlys, was released on March 28, 2008.
The band won the "Best Hope" award at the Metal Female Voices Fest 2009 due to the majority of votes by the fans. In spring 2010 they announced their return to the studio to record their third album, with updates for fans via studio reports on YouTube posted on their official Twitter. The Metamorphosis Melody was released on April 22, 2011.
In 2013 it was announced that Espenæs, with The Sins of Thy Beloved members Anders Thue and Stig Johansen, formed the band called Savn. That band released a self-titled album in 2014. In March2017, guitarist Stephan Adolph joined as a new member. Adolph had already worked with Midnattsol on their debut album Where Twilight Dwells.
On December 14, 2017, it was announced that Liv Kristine had become the official second vocalist for Midnattsol, she was originally announced to be a guest on their new album but after some discussions, the band added her as a permanent member. Their fourth studio album, The Aftermath, was released on May 25, 2018.
Former guitarists Daniel Droste and Christian Hector recently joined forces with Stephan Adolph to form Ahab, a German funeral doom metal band. Chris Merzinsky and Birgit Öllbrunner are also playing in the band R:I:P.
- Carmen Elise Espenæs – vocals (2002 - present)
- Daniel Fischer – keyboards (2002 - present)
- Alex Kautz – guitars (2009 - present)
- Stephan Adolph - guitars, bass (2017 - present)
- Liv Kristine - vocals (2017 - present)
- Christian Fütterer – guitars (2002)
- Christian Hector – guitars (2002–2008)
- Fabian "Fabz" Pospiech – guitars (2008–2009)
- Daniel Droste – guitars (2003–2010)
- Birgit Öllbrunner – bass (2002-2017)
- Chris Merzinsky – drums (2002-2017)
- Matthias Schuler – guitars (2011-2017)
- Midnattsol (2003)
- Bowar, Chad (2 May 2011). "Carmen Elise Espenaes Interview". Heavy Metal. About.com. p. 2. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- Van Dijk, Erwin (27 June 2012). "Interview : Carmen Elise Espenæs – Midnattsol (2008)". Femme Metal Webzine. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- [permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2009-03-05.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Midnattsol (@Midnattsol_Band) | Twitter". Twitter.com.
- "MIDNATTSOL, THE SINS OF THY BELOVED Members Join Forces In SAVN". Blabbermouth.net. 2013-07-17. Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- "MIDNATTSOL INTRODUCE NEW GUITARIST STEPHAN ADOLPH". Bravewords.com. 2017-03-26. Retrieved 2017-03-26.
- "Midnattsol – Band". Laut.de. Retrieved 11 January 2019.