|Origin||Ludwigsburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany|
|Genres||Gothic metal, folk metal, symphonic metal, power metal|
|Associated acts||Savn, Ahab, Leaves' Eyes|
|Members||Carmen Elise Espenæs|
|Past members||Christian FüttererChristian HectorFabian "Fabz" PospiechDaniel DrosteBirgit ÖllbrunnerMatthias SchulerChris Merzinsky|
In 2002, singer Carmen Elise Espenæs and guitarist Christian Hector founded the German symphonic metal band Midnattsol; their intention was to start working on this project once they found like-minded musicians to join their band. The new members were then identified in Chris Merzinsky (former drummer for Penetralia), Daniel Fischer (keyboard player), and later on Daniel Droste (guitarist) and Birgit Öllbrunner (bassist).
Their sound is essentially symphonic metal with influences of folk metal and power metal. The band prefers to call their style "Nordic folk metal" because of the folk elements in their music and occasional Norwegian lyrics. Their lyrics are largely based on Norwegian folk tales. Their first full-length album, Where Twilight Dwells, was released in 2005; their next album, Nordlys, was released on March 28, 2008.
Midnattsol means 'midnight sun' in Norwegian (even though the phenomena is actually spelled midnattssol and not midnattsol).
Chris Merzinsky and Birgit Öllbrunner are also playing in the band R:I:P.
On July 10, 2009, Midnattsol announced guitarist Fabian "Fabz" Pospiech had left the band to concentrate on his family.
The band won the "Best Hope" award at the Metal Female Voices Fest 2009 due to the majority of votes by the fans.
In spring 2010 they announced their return to the studio to record Midnattsol's third album from May to about July 2010. They've been keeping their fans up to date via studio reports on YouTube posted on their official Twitter. In November 2010, they announced the title of the new album, The Metamorphosis Melody. In December 2010 they announced that the album would be released on April 22, 2011. They also announced the departure of guitarist Daniel Droste.
In 2017 an announcement was made via the band's official Facebook page that Birgit, Matthias and Chris had all left the band for personal reasons, and their replacements would be announced shortly. In March of the same year, guitarist Stephan Adolph joins as a new member. Adolph had already worked with Midnattsol on their debut album Where Twilight Dwells (2005) 
On December 14, 2017, it was announced that Liv Kristine is the official second vocalist for Midnattsol, she was originally announced to be a guest on their new album but after some discussions, the band picked her up as a permanent member. The fourth studio album was titled The Aftermath, and was released on 25 May, 2018.
- Carmen Elise Espenæs – vocals (2002 - present)
- Daniel Fischer – keyboards (2002 - present)
- Alex Kautz – guitars (2009 - present)
- Stephan Adolph - guitars, bass (2017 - present)
- Liv Kristine - vocals (2017 - present)
- Christian Fütterer – guitars (2002)
- Christian Hector – guitars (2002–2008)
- Fabian "Fabz" Pospiech – guitars (2008–2009)
- Daniel Droste – guitars (2003–2010)
- Birgit Öllbrunner – bass (2002-2017)
- Chris Merzinsky – drums (2002-2017)
- Matthias Schuler – guitars (2011-2017)
- Midnattsol (2003)
- [permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2009-03-05.
- [permanent dead link]
- "MIDNATTSOL Parts Ways With Guitarist, Seeks Replacement". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 2009-07-10. Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- "MIDNATTSOL, THE SINS OF THY BELOVED Members Join Forces In SAVN". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 2013-07-17. Retrieved 2018-06-08.
- "MIDNATTSOL INTRODUCE NEW GUITARIST STEPHAN ADOLPH". BRAVEWORDS.COM. 2017-03-26. Retrieved 2017-03-26.