|Elevation||112 ft (34 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||673539|
Midnight is an unincorporated community located in Humphreys County, Mississippi. Midnight is approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Louise and 5 miles (8.0 km) southwest of Silver City along Mississippi Highway 149. Although Midnight is unincorporated, it has a zip code of 39115.
According to tradition, the original town site was won in a midnight poker hand, hence the name of the community.
A post office called Midnight was established in 1897. The post office building survived the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927. On October 5, 2002 the Midnight post office closed. By 2010 it had been demolished as part of the USPS's service cuts.
In the 2000s, resident Gwen McKenzie and other Midnight residents lobbied to have a highway sign installed that indicated the direction to Midnight. In 2009 the streets in Midnight received names and numbers.
As of 2010 Midnight has fewer than 200 residents.
Shashank Bengali of McClatchy Newspapers said that Midnight "feels like a place whose time has expired." Bengali explains that the clapboard houses, which were built almost one century before 2010, "rot on their cinder-block legs, tilting at crazy angles" and that Midnight's principal road is "dotted with abandoned or half-burned cabins that, older residents complain, young men disappear into to shoot dice or smoke pot as the days fade into dusk."
Government and infrastructure
Residents are zoned to the Humphreys County School District.
In popular culture
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Midnight, Mississippi
- Moyer, Armond; Moyer, Winifred (1958). The origins of unusual place-names. Keystone Pub. Associates. p. 84.
- "Post Offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Bengali, Shashank. "Mississippi Delta: the land economic recovery never visits." McClatchy Newspapers. April 11, 2010. Retrieved on September 23, 2010.
- "Postmaster Finder Post Offices by Discontinued Date." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on September 23, 2010. "10/05/2002 MIDNIGHT MS HUMPHREYS COUNTY 39115"