Midnight Madness (album)
|This article does not cite any sources. (March 2009)|
|Studio album by Night Ranger|
|Night Ranger chronology|
|Singles from Midnight Madness|
Midnight Madness is the second studio album from rock band Night Ranger released in 1983. Their second album produced three charting singles and contains the band's best known hit, "Sister Christian." It remains their highest selling album at over a million copies sold in the US. The first single/video, "(You Can Still) Rock in America" peaked at #51 in early 1984 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart and also reached #15 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. "Sister Christian" peaked at #5 on Billboard's Hot 100 and was one of the most played videos of 1984. The song also has been featured in several films including "Boogie Nights" and "Rock of Ages" among others. "When You Close Your Eyes" was the third single/video and reached #14 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart and #7 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart. "Rumours In The Air" also charted on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart peaking at #26 in the spring of 1984.
All Songs Published By Kid Bird Music/Rough Play Music.
- (You Can Still) Rock in America (Blades, Gillis) - 4:16
- Rumours in the Air (Blades) - 4:33
- Why Does Love Have to Change (Blades) - 3:49
- Sister Christian (Keagy) - 5:03
- Touch of Madness (Blades) - 5:01
- Passion Play (Blades) - 4:43
- When You Close Your Eyes (Blades, Fitzgerald, Gillis) - 4:19
- Chippin' Away (Blades, Gillis) - 4:13
- Let Him Run (Blades, Keagy, Watson) - 3:29
The German resp. European vinyl edition got a different running order:
- A Side:
- Sister Christian
- Rumours in the Air
- Touch of Madness
- Passion Play
- B Side:
- When You Close Your Eyes
- Chippin' Away
- Let Him Run
- (You Can Still) Rock in America
- Why Does Love Have to Change
- Jack Blades - Bass/Lead vocals
- Jeff Watson - Guitars/Keyboards
- Brad Gillis - Guitars
- Alan Fitzgerald - Keyboards
- Kelly Keagy - Drums/Lead vocals
- Glenn Hughes - Backing vocals on "(You Can Still) Rock in America"
- Pat Glasser - Producer
- John VanNest - Engineer
- Brian Gardener - Mastering
|US Billboard 200||15|
|1983||"(You Can Still) Rock in America"||Billboard Hot 100||51|
|1984||"When You Close Your Eyes"||Billboard Hot 100||14|
|"Sister Christian"||Billboard Hot 100||5|
In Popular Culture
• "Sister Christian" can be heard in several films: Boogie Nights, Superstar, The Lather Effect, Friday the 13th, The Boondock Saints II and Rock of Ages. Rahad Jackson (Alfred Molina) stops to sing "motoring" during the drug deal scene in the 1997 film Boogie Nights in which "Sister Christian" is playing in the background. The power ballad also plays in the 2009 slasher film, Friday the 13th, during the sequence where Wade Jonathan Sadowski is wandering through the woods near Camp Crystal Lake looking for a patch of marijuana plants.
• Fox's popular television series Glee covers "Sister Christian" in their 2012 season 4 premiere episode. It is sung by student Brody Weston (Dean Geyer) in the co-ed bathrooms of NYADA. "Sister Christian" is also used in at least two episodes of the TV cartoon series, American Dad!.
• "(You Can Still) Rock in America" is featured in a montage for the 2004 series finale of The Drew Carey Show.
• "Sister Christian" plays on the in-game radio station Emotion 98.3 of 2002 video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, is included on the playlist for the Mix 107.77 of 2006 video game Saints Row 2, is a downloadable song on 2009 video game Guitar Hero 5, and a playable song on 2010 video game Rock Band 3.